Fishing Dodgers with Dipsey and Jigging

1)Dodgers be hind Dipsey divers- from dipsey to dodger, should I use 25lbs test to dodger?

Fly I will try already has a leader on it so no need to tie a leader to lure. Usually use between 8 and 10 lbs for leader with Sutton's.

2) Jigging- I don't have a temp gage. He plan is to run two Dipsey, one from 0 to 40 and one 40to 70 to find what depth they are holding, then give jigging a shot. Should I anchor up? Also I've bought a ton of flukes, apparently the wrong ones... Posting pic of the new ones from bass pro with paddle tails... hope these are right

Dipsy to dodger if going for lakers doesn't matter but going for silvers I'd lighten up to maybe 15lbs. It's all preference and what you like and what works.

Sometimes they like a short lead from dodger to fly (faster action) sometimes they're lazy and like longer leads to (slower action) flies.

I'd start with 18 inches ish

Play around and see what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by reeldilemma33

1) 25 should be OK on Fingers but I usually use 30lb if fishing deep or near bottom

8 lb test seems pretty light  I normally run 12 lb or so if behind an attractor for spoons (rainbows and landlocks can put some pretty good stress on things). Lighter lines are Ok if running the spoons alone or toward the surface  but if you hook a big one you need to be more careful bringing in

2) Forget using the dipsey approach to locate lakers prior to jigging. They are two separate and very different strategies. Use your depth finder to locate fish that look like they may be trout in terms of their position especially if near bait. Then either choose to drift is the wind is way down, or use an electric trolling motor (if you have one) to stay near them, or anchor up nearby and cast back into them. (Let your anchor down slowly and carefully so as not to spook them especially in shallower water. The rubber you bought should be OK If they are real hungry they will hit a variety of things.  I'm not sure about the jig weight of the one in the pic but it may be light...usually 3/4 oz to 1 1/2 (or even 2 oz if deep)

Edited by Sk8man

That is where I normally use 30 lb. You want the leader to your spoon at a lower pound test (e.g. 10-15 lb) in case you snag up on bottom or something and that way you only lose the spoon and not the dodger, flasher or spinney too.

! oz or 1 1/2 oz jig is just right for most situations especially iffishing deeper places to get back down quickly

Edited by Sk8man

John makes a real good point here. The fleas are a real pain in the butt starting around now until the water temps decrease significantly in the Fall.

Can give you some tips I use for jigging. 1- I always drift. 2- I get super sharp jigs (1 & 1.25 oz from hermit (cayugafisher) on this site 3- White and chartreuse colors best for me. 4- Hermit has good paddletails. 5- 5" chartreuse flukes also are good 6-As Sk8man (guy sure knows his fishing)says decent fishfinder is a must 6- Lot of lakers sit on the bottom and you do not see them until you drop your jig 7- I catch 90% of my lakers on the retrieve.

Sounds like I need a better fish finder and a probe. Just drifting I would eventually run into something I suppose.

I caught a 2:1 ratio fly with dodger vs plain Sutton. Gotta say tho... the Sutton had a screamer on... spit the hook near surface.

Question about the meat of two fish I harvested today.... one was nice Orange colored meat like normal... other was pale white... like bass or perch.... any idea what is wrong with the one fish?

Odd. Thought maybe it was from lamprey's sucking it dry. Came up with one the size of the fish... tried to get the fish in quick to kill it... must known what I was up too.

Fed the white meat to the cats. All the other fish I caught was Orange. Long point(Cayuga lake) was slow today. Just south of there ran into a active bunch. One peeled line like crazy.. spit the hook near the boat. Never saw it....