If I had a way to close and delete this thread I would. I did not start this thread for folks on here to bash anyone and quite frankly, I am disappointed with the constant trashing of other teams publicly.

I am sorry that folks may have issues with other teams, but let's keep the garbage private.

Running an event like this is not easy, period. There are always going to be rules that some do not agree with. While we all complain about certain ones, the format is solid.

I agree with you Rod, fishing against the great teams is what makes us better. I fished as hard as ever and was tested both days by the am teams in sodus. I was worried each day coming to the scale.

So then fish pro from now on Tony. Don't go back to Am just to finance your tournaments. Again rule change required!

Getting beat in a tourney teaches you more than winning one. it shows you what you should have been doing to beat the competition. It's the best way to get better at fishing this lake hands down.

As someone who came in at the bottom of the pack two years in a row, I couldn't agree more with Yankee. I was humbled at the weigh-in. I typically only fish browns early in the season, then move right to kings. I learned a lot this year. I also got a chance to speak with both Tony and Nick after the tourney ended and both offered insight that I can use down the road. As far as I am concerned, anyone meeting the qualifications for the division they are fishing is welcome. Nothing would make me happier than to improve my game enough to be competitive with the top amateur teams. I personally couldn't disagree with "troubles" more...

If anyone has any issues with the rules then don't fish the tourney, but don't bash the guy that plays by the rules and suceeds.

At then end of the day I would rather have competed against the best and be proud of my placement vs competing against the lesser just to win.

Congrats Tony on a great season !!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is too bad about the public bashing - it shows the true nature and demeanor of the people making those remarks. Teams just need to play by the rules and fish the division where they want to compete. At the end of the day it always comes down to who could put the best program and skills together to produce the best boxes. Some teams have more equipment at their disposal, but they still have to figure out the program for the day, and each day is different. Did we take a beating this weekend? Hell yeah we did!! Any team will tell ya they have had crappy weekends - this was ours! Between lost and broken equipment, our grandma's funeral, and some other personal issues hitting the fan it's a wonder we even made it out to fish... 

As others have stated, we love to tourney fish whether we place or not - seeing who did well, what they did differently (for future reference), going against the best on the lake, the shotgun starts... it's awesome!! 

I didn't fish the Tourney at all since Sodus Am returned but that doesn't change the fact that:

Primetime Pete won Am Cup 4 times and then went to Pro and never returned just for Money!

Screamer won Am Cup 4 times and then went to Pro and never returned just for Money!

Yankee Troller fished Am and went to Pro and never went back just for Money.

Cannonball Eddie won Am Cup went to Pro and never went back.

Sure there are others.

Look nothing against Tony. He and his crew do great and are great fisherman. He has however reached the same level and fishes more each week than most of the Pro's. If he continues to enter as an Am  it can only hurt the entry's and the Am division will die for sure. He needs to follow the examples of his peers. I've heard comments from many of the Pro's also that he shouldn't be doing what he did this year. They IMO just don't want to voice their opinion and be thought of as non political! Personally I don't care if I am.

So Tony step up your game and do what's right next year. Please for the benefit of Am's who want to see these tournaments survive!

PS Rick yes this string is Bull but I know that if Tony enters Oswego (his home waters) as an Am next year Am will certainly die in that tournament!! I'm done and I'm sure most of you are glad but when one change to a rule could hopefully help these two tournaments to grow it should be considered "For Sure"

Edited by troubles

Heck I am as political as they come and never been afraid to voice anything. Hey Tony, if you go Am next season Ill pay your way, that small fee should increase my pro winnings by about 50%. What do u say?

No offense Greg (:

Tom

Heck I am as political as they come and never been afraid to voice anything. Hey Tony, if you go Am next season Ill pay your way, that small fee should increase my pro winnings by about 50%. What do u say?

No offense Greg (:

Tom

Am divisions going to be mostly Seniors Division as it was this year anyway! LOL .

No money there anyway Tom. And no offense taken Tom!

Heck I am as political as they come and never been afraid to voice anything. Hey Tony, if you go Am next season Ill pay your way, that small fee should increase my pro winnings by about 50%.

Tom

I'll even split it with you Tom! :)

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I say congrats to 5 More Minutes, you can obviously fish your ass off.  :yes:  :yes:    That being sad I do see a need for some changes.  I definitely lean towards the if you don't think you can beat them, then don't enter mentality.   I don't believe forcing a team to go pro because they are very successful is the right answer either.   I personally am lucky due to work my schedule to fish3-4 days a month on a weekend day and that's even if she isn't blowing.   I became a licensed charter captain 5+ years ago but I don't run a charter business or have even chartered anyone.  I got the license so that I am a better boater as well as maybe someday in my retirement years be able to do some trips.   Because of this I wasn't able to enter the amateur for either the Oswego or Sodus pro -ams and it isn't  realistic to think that I could jump in the pro division and be competitive.  Hell , I'd be fortunate to have a decent showing in the AM.  I would however gladly have joined both of thee events due to the lower entry fee and less of a donation  :rofl:  to the pros.   

My solution is as follows.   Get rid of all qualifications for whether a team is pro or amateur.   If your team wants to  be more competitive and prestigious and have a chance at bigger bucks, then enter the pro.  If big money isn't your goal and being known as one of the best on the lake ( which I believe would come with competing in the pro div) then enter AM.  I think this would diminish all the bashing, ****in' , complaining.   If you wanna be known as one of best, and make some good coin then cowboy up and go for it.  If you wanna take a smaller risk and are content with being amateur then do that.   I see Troubles concerns but I can do nothing but congratulate 5MM for going out and staying within the rules and kicking butt.

That's what cannonball and vision quest did, for my head to head with hook n up.

You gotta be kidding Tony. That's even worse! Pro's betting on you against Al !

You couldn't even make your own bet!

Edited by troubles

You gotta be kidding Tony. That's even worse! Pro's betting on you against Al !

HA HA HA!!!!  That's Awesome!!!  Now that is a true Calcutta right there!!  All the Big saltwater tournies do that for there Calcuttas  most of the time you have to buy your own team back in the bet if you want to bet on your team!  Love this!!!  They are on to something right there! 

Great Year Tony!  A very very few fish as hard as you do!  In fact I don't think I know anyone who fishes as much as you do.  Work all night in some cases and fish all day.  You deserve everything you won and you played within the rules to do it!  Congratulations!!! again!!