Sampson Seneca 7-18-15

Planned on leaving the dock at 5 AM but after looking at radar we decide to wait it out and let storm past before launching and man am I glad we did... Nastiest thunderstorm storm I may have ever seen crazy lightning and huge huge thunder... Took two friends and their girlfriends out for a trip while they were home for out 20th class reunion (man am I getting old) lol.. Well we ran north and to the west side and set up shop running riggers cores coppers and dipsys.. We end up picking up a few small lakers but not the quality of fish that had been in that area so decided to do some searching and it payed off big time we ended up finding a great pocket of rainbows and landlocks and they really kept us on our toes smashing FLT spoons on the riggers left and right we must have caught at least 8 rainbows in that particular area.. we ended the day going 17 for 18 ... I have to mention that the power boat association was there running a poker run and had absolutely no respect for any of us fisherman including a good friend who was running a charter and one of those 300,000 dollar boats passed him on starboard side I believe within 50 ft and one passed us on port side probably at 70 to 100 ft and these boat we're running close to 100 mph, that is totally uncalled for and that's the reason we have accidents right there... Other than that great day on the water with some good friends..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-148405-14373407434892_thumb.jpg

cid_image010.jpg

Nice report, glad you guys found some fish, sounds like a great day (minus the obnoxious boats), I'm stuck inside at work this weekend so nice to live vicariously

Seemed like a good weekend for silvers all over the lakes. Nice report.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

ðŸ‘

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hell of a trip Mike. Nice day.

Thanks guys it was a great day.. Forgot to mention fleas are definitely getting thicker and nice size weed pods are starting to show themselves. .

Mike

Ya it was a blast out there Mike and I'm glad you guys got into them big time. I almost forgot about the poker run, I was so pissed when that guy put his 500k boat down my side at that speed. What a joke that crap is I'd love to find where he lives and drive my car up and down his street at 100 MPH. No one should be able to go that fast on that lake. If one of those boats broke up it would go a mile down the lake taking out every thing in its path.

Ya it was a blast out there Mike and I'm glad you guys got into them big time. I almost forgot about the poker run, I was so pissed when that guy put his 500k boat down my side at that speed. What a joke that crap is I'd love to find where he lives and drive my car up and down his street at 100 MPH. No one should be able to go that fast on that lake. If one of those boats broke up it would go a mile down the lake taking out every thing in its path.

Yeah Sean it was a great day and thanks for giving me a heads up on what was going on in your area... Those guys with the big expensive boats not saying ours aren't lol but they would be the first to **** if we did that to them but in their eyes it's ok to do to us.. Definitely uncalled for... Thanks again Sean

Mike

I got to go one one Saturday afternoon... Once we hit 80 mph, I was good.

There's rules in place, fortunately those PBA guys only come once a year.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Back when they used to have the hydroplane racing out at Sampson I didn't realize it was going on  and had been trolling north of Dresden over on the west side of the lake nearly a couple miles away and when I got to the rock slide they started up the race and there was so much noise and water vibration I could feel it right through the hull (13 ft Whaler) of my boat and there were actually fish jumping out of the water in response to it almost like those flying silver carp you see down south (and other places unfortunately now) it was unreal. I just pulled my lines and headed for home.

Edited by Sk8man

Back when they used to have the hydroplane racing out at Sampson I didn't realize it was going on and had been trolling north of Dresden over on the west side of the lake nearly a couple miles away and when I got to the rock slide they started up the race and there was so much noise and water vibration I could feel it right through the hull (13 ft Whaler) of my boat and there were actually fish jumping out of the water in response to it almost like those flying silver carp you see down south (and other places unfortunately now) it was unreal. I just pulled my lines and headed for home.

I bet lol... I have no problem sharing the lake whatsoever but when you have close to 40 boats coming at you at 80 to 120 mph and lake is flat and vision is good up to a few miles there is no reason they couldn't have been a bit more cortious to the 6 or 7 boats fishing in that area..

Mike

Fish Canandaigua late morning in the summer. If you run an inline I can guarantee it will get cut off. Its like a game to see how close they can get! I Know there are laws for making a wake within so many feet of an anchored boat but they should revamp that to include a boat "engaged" in fishing

Below is from the NYS regs. Might worth a pic shot of registration numbers and a call to Coast Guard or Sheriffs for future. It's not about Etiquette at that point, it's about the endangerment for ones safety as Mike mentioned.

-Speed

In New York State, vessel speed is generally limited to 5 mph when within 100 feet of the shore, a dock, pier, raft, float, or anchored boat.

Reckless operation of a boat can be a violation or misdemeanor. Opera- tors are required to operate a boat in a careful and prudent manner in such a way as not to interfere with the free and proper use of the navigable waters or endanger any boat or person. Reckless operation may be the result of operator ignorance, inattention, indifference or carelessness. Some examples of reckless operation include:

• Operating at high speed in a congested area or in restricted visibility • Following another boat too closely

• Operating too closely to swimmers or divers

• Operating near dams

40)