I-Bay 7/21

bosco

My first night out in the month of July. The bay still works though. 4 eyes in 2 hours. All good eating size. 18"-20" but they hit hard and fought above their weight class. May was awesome for me. June was slow (alewife season). I tried to fish them like Justin suggested but I wasn't having luck and lost confidence. Last year this is where it started to turn on for me so I'm going to try and get out a few nights a week now.

Not easy getting them on bait! Devo is right about different water....just because the eyes are feeding the same bait the same way doesn't mean the same exact lures will work. Otisco and Owasco are very much alike but the best lure for my buddy kevin on Owasco doesnt work on Otisco when he comes to fish with me and vise versa. The technique is the same but finding the magic lure that works is another matter. If it makes you feel any better neither Kevin nor I did as well as last year fishing the bait. Fish were there but it was very tough too get them to go. We all want to think we have it figured out but its tough to get success to follow year after year fishing the exact same spots the exact same way and then if you are on different water too....takes a lot of fishing to get anything figured out! Harnesses work everywhere and so do sticks/deep divers and so do spoons. Believe me there is someone out there doing it each way successfully on almost every walleye lake out there...and by the same token there are 10 guys doing it each way unsuccessfully also.

Anytime Gator. Missed you on the ice this year so it'd be nice to get together again.

And thanks Justin. I did well again tonight. I took a couple less experienced guys out tonight and they boated 9 between the two of them. Biggest came in a shade under 10 lbs.

And thanks Devo. When I run out of steam doing the night bite I'll have a starting strategy for daylight hours.

Nice work Bosco!

I haven't been out in a long time but my son has been getting a lot of pike this year in the Bay. Some up to 15lbs. He even had a big one take a swipe at a sheepshead as it came to the net!

Maybe see you out there this weekend,

dEv.0