Laker questions

Okay, dumb question.  I have never targeted lakers as I am a king/steelie guy.  When we catch lakers it is usually a fluke. This weekend I am going to be fishing the devils nose to Oak area and have some kids on board so was thinking about slowing it down and trying to go for lakers as it seems on this site that they are easier?

I have all the gear (I think) but need the know how.  Do I just drag bottom with cowbells and peanuts and slow down?  Cant be that easy right? 

Any advice, depths , tackle , speed etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all

1.6 -2.0 mph. run close to bottom short to the ball if using downriggers. Depth to start will vary greatly around the lake (look for bottom oriented fish) but working from shallower and adjusting toward bottom as you go deeper should connect.

These work as far as tackle:

post-145411-0-19356800-1437606882_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-28528600-1437606895_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Don't rule out Stingray or larger sized spoons in glow and green and, of course, wonder bread. Our largest lakers have come on spoons this year and at "salmon speed". Btw there are good numbers of kings and steelhead showing up with this westerly blow.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks Paul. Good to hear. Have struggled a bit this year on kings and steelies and want to be sure to get the rods to go with the kids on board this weekend though it is hard for me to target lakers as I want to hear that drag scream!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know when I was targeting them out of the Oak and Wilson harbors, they really seemed to prefer silver over gold cowbells.  Caught about 10/1 on silver over gold.  Also, if you want to try something other than peanuts, behind the cowbells(not that you will need to)  You can also try running spin & glows, and salmon flies.  I had equal luck with all of them.  I have to agree with Missdemeanor on Lake Ontario lakers, though, they really are that easy.  I usually started targeting them in about 55' in the early morning, right on the bottom, and followed them right out to about 100' fow midday.  You can't miss them on the depth finder.  Drop your balls right on their heads, and the action will commence almost immediately!!  :yes:  :yes:  :)

So you just run the peanuts direct behind cowbells? I have never run a peanut. Not tipped with snuthing? What color peanut chartreuse?

I run a 24" lead to a yellow peanut three red beads to a hook. It is a true laker killer. They love them out there.

Side note: Just make sure to take the time to revive the Lakers when you catch them they can be very tired after coming up from the deep. Especially when the water gets warm

I run a 24" lead to a yellow peanut three red beads to a hook. It is a true laker killer. They love them out there.

Side note: Just make sure to take the time to revive the Lakers when you catch them they can be very tired after coming up from the deep. Especially when the water gets warm

Thanks Paul. Good to hear. Have struggled a bit this year on kings and steelies and want to be sure to get the rods to go with the kids on board this weekend though it is hard for me to target lakers as I want to hear that drag scream!

We had a VERY good day today out of the Oak on kings and steelhead. *hint*

What's a laker?

We had a VERY good day today out of the Oak on kings and steelhead. *hint*

What's a laker?