Solo Fishing Advice

It seems harder and harder these days to get people to go fishing. Till my son and daughter get abit older I might have to do some solo trips, which I've never done before.

What's the best setup? Two downriggers and one dipsey or 2 dipsey's and 1 downrigger?

Down riggers are always the easiest. You can cheat them too for more lures in the water. I would choose a long copper if you wanted kings this time of year on a long line. If you only had a diver for the third rod then you could do that...but be sure the rod is a shorter version and a shorter leader from the dipsy. You will have your hands full trying to net with a dipsy fish. Copper or lead core can reel up closer and less drag on your rod arm trying to net. Also for your net, get one of those small clothes pin clips to keep your net up out of the water unlit under the fish. The drag of the net while trolling alone with one arm can mess you up bad. It will drag back and almost always catch your lure and not the fish.

Down riggers are always the easiest. You can cheat them too for more lures in the water. I would choose a long copper if you wanted kings this time of year on a long line. If you only had a diver for the third rod then you could do that...but be sure the rod is a shorter version and a shorter leader from the dipsy. You will have your hands full trying to net with a dipsy fish. Copper or lead core can reel up closer and less drag on your rod arm trying to net. Also for your net, get one of those small clothes pin clips to keep your net up out of the water unlit under the fish. The drag of the net while trolling alone with one arm can mess you up bad. It will drag back and almost always catch your lure and not the fish.

x2

These guys all have it right. I've fished solo more than with other folks for many years and safety first is always the best policy and it took awhile till I had that attitude. Mark is right on the money with his specific suggestions and it is obviously based on experience. Keep the net located at the back of the boat for easy access and keep your leaders short enough according to rod length so that you can net without having to hand line them unless you are very experienced doing it.  You'll have to keep a closer eye on your depth finder and steering than otherwise too.  I always run sliders on my riggers to maximize my lure presentations and I also keep a knife and needle nose pliers right on back easily accessible  for dealing with severe tangles in rough water or windy conditions and they are come in handy for releasing lampreys in multiple pieces :lol:

Lots of great info already given..Can't miss if you follow their advice..I'd just ad that you might have 2 or 3 rods rigged ready to replace any that tangle or god forbid have a fish break you off..Spare to match at least 2 of your top rigs..Keep eye open for weather changes,,Stay safe and good luck..

Make sure someone knows that you are going and where as well as an approximate time of return.  Make sure your radio and cell phone are working.  My boat is wide open at the stern and I don't get to close to it working rods or netting fish.  It would suck to go overboard without someone to spin around and retrieve you.  I fish solo a lot but Im pretty careful when I do.

One rigger , a dipsey way back and leadcore or short copper down the middle works really good.

The netting part is an art form going solo it takes some time to perfect..and please keep the life jacket on!!

if you do fall over grab the rigger cable on way by....hurts like hell but can get you back in the boat ( yes I been there )

fishing alone is a great time

I fish prolly 400 hours a year and 300 of them are alone ( wish there were derbies for solo guys ) MAYBE the LOC people will allow us in someday

Most of my solo fishing experience comes from fishing the Oak Orchard One Man Fish Bowl. I can tell you divers are tough to land fish on solo but it can be done. But given a choice I will take three riggers all run clean. Clip your net bag and pay attention to the weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

wear a life jacket. attach an EPIRB to it.  Let someone know where you will be fishing and for how long.  don't rush when netting.  keep your feet flat on the deck….that should prevent you from doing anything dangerous.  

I ALWAYS wear a floatation device.ALWAYS!! Also have 3 radios,cell phone with emergency #s keyed in,personal epirb and tether to kill switch.Been scared too many times to count.Safety is obviously my #1 concern.I fish out of a 17 ft lund and want to see my kids grow old.Oh, and be diligent about checking the weather maps.