Ruff Rider Live Report Sodus 2015 July 25-26

Thanks for all the info ruff rider, and others. Sorry I made your fishing report into a dipsey discussion. Back at it tomorrow and Tuesday.

No problem at all! I love seeing everyone share information and experiences!

Well that was a mess. Both fish were crazy. Tangled with all three dipseys, lost a cheater and one of the fish, but for the first one. 95 rigger wonderbread board and ITO slimed MTT fly. One we lost was on 80 rigger, blue tuxedo.

95 rigger went screaming, my bells went flying. Fish screamed out line and bit off my green dolphin on the slider. I put it back down to 95 so I could tie a new cheater, put it in the holder and start walking back to the wheel... Zzzzzinnnnng! 95 rigger is screaming. Boated that one. Wonderbread board, same blue green ITO fly.

20150726_092843.jpg

Nice job Nick!! We've seen more hits on the riggers lately with short 3-8' ft leads off the balls too. As per the dipsy question, depth will vary a bit depending on currents (upper, mid, and at lower levels), water density, etc. but we depth checked our wires several years back with a flasher/fly and it was pretty dead-on with a 3 to 1 ratio for a 1-setting and 5 to 1 ratio for a 3 setting, and we put them back as far as 650 ft and they were still getting deeper with the same ratio. Case in point with the currents altering the depths, with the currents we have had this year, a couple weeks back our 3-setting dipsies were hitting bottom 400 ft out (normally 80 ft down) in 120 fow going east and have no problems going into 80 fow heading west. 

Chinook divers are great been running them for 2 weeks much easier to bring in easier to fight fish on and much less drag when in the holder. Haven't had one false release in 2 weeks. Gave them a work out this weekend 7 nice kings fishing out of Fair Haven. Don't think dipsey;s will be seeing to much water time now.