need some advice

Hi Guys,

This isn't strictly fishing related, but I'm hoping somebody on the board can help me out. We purchased some land this year near Brockport that has an extensive system of grass trails. I'd like to try out a tow-behind mower like a Swisher or Kunz prior to purchasing one to pull behind my Grizzly 700. Currently, I'm mowing with an old Craftsman LT1000, and it works but it takes >3 hours...and even though they're grass trails, they're still trails and I worry about hitting something on a "normal" mower.

I'd be happy to take somebody out of Sandy on Nothing but Net in exchange for an opportunity to try out their tow-behind mower.

Also, I'm open to suggestions as to other options. I've mulled over a zero-turn, but speedier is bumpier which isn't necessarily better on these trails. Thanks to all for their advice!

Keith

I don't own a pull behind mower but what I can tell you if the trails are in the woods a small tractors with a bush hog would be your best bet. Most pull behind mowers are just 4 wheeled push mowers with a trailer hitch. The blades are directly mounted to the drive shaft giving you the chance of bending the drive shaft on the motor If you got a stump or rock. For the price of a zero turn wich you said was a option you could buy a small used tractor with a brush hog and never regret the other uses you will get out of the tractor. Just my opinion. I own a zero turn and they are worthless on anything but level ground. Don't waste your time and money buy the right tool for the job. In the long run you will be happyer

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The tractor is a great idea and I'd do it, too, if I didn't already have one sitting out there. The problem? It's a New Holland DC55 and it's too big to use on all the trails, particularly if I don't want to tear them up. The guy who owned the land prior to me did a bunch of clearing with it and I bought it off him with the land. My management style is somewhat different, though. At some point, the tractor will be great for food plots and such.

The kind of tow behind that I'm leaning toward is a rough cut Swisher or Kunz. Should be fine, I think, since it's what they're made for...and most of my trails are grass; they've been in place for 40 years. Still, you have a point. Maybe I should just trade in the big tractor and buy a smaller one. It's a thought.

If you can do OK on the trade  for a smaller unit that will do what you want it would be high on my list to consider Keith especially if it would be still capable of doing other stuff (clearing snow etc.). At least you'd be getting use out of it and something like a bush hog attachment would certainly do whatever you need in the way of mowing/clearing.  Just my two cents :)  Les

The New Holland dc 55 is quite a tractor. I wouldn't get rid of it for anything. That tractor would give you the ability to do anything you wanted. However you shouldn't have any trouble trading down to a 35 hp Kubota or johndeer or even another New Holland. The only advice I can give you after working on tons of farms owning a treecare business and working on the woods pretty much my hole life is there is no subsatute for horse power and if you use something outside of its ability you are gonna break something. It may worn for a while but eventually it is going break. If you down size stay away from the home owner tractors. Example. Kubota b series. Go with. The L or M series. Better built and will take more abuse. I had a John deer 950 with a 5 ft brush hog on it that wasn't much wider than a 4 wheeler. Go any where with it. Just my opinion if your gonna spend money might as well be happy in the long run.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

It's hard to go slow with a bigger atv as I haved tried with my king quad 700. I know a fellow who melted a Polaris down.this creates a lot of heat on the belt in and out so much going so slow.a old gear shift atv much better for pull behind mowing.

It's hard to go slow with a bigger atv as I haved tried with my king quad 700. I know a fellow who melted a Polaris down.this creates a lot of heat on the belt in and out so much going so slow.a old gear shift atv much better for pull behind mowing.

That's cause Polaris' are only good for carrying marshmallows back from the store. Lol

My vote is Zero turn if you do not have any steep hills. I mow 2 acres at my house and 3 at my camp. I also use it to mow my trails in the woods as well as hauling firewood out of the woods I replaced my turf tires with utv tires. The lawn looks like a golf coarse yet it can still cut through waste deep grass. A small farm tractor is always handy if you have have enough land to justify. My dad owns 125 acres and has a compact tractor with belly mower. He also has brush hog and sickle bar mower. He recently bought a Zero turn like mine and although he did not like the Zero turn at first, it is his go to for his lawn ,trail, and Christmas tree plantation mowing . There is a learning curve to driving one.   As stated before brush hog would be first choice in large rocky conditions.  Mine is 27hp Bad Boy ZT,Wes