Go to Home Depot and buy 2 half inch plastic pipe hangers and bolt them together.  Run you line through along where the 2 edges meet, kind of forms a mini trough, and that will take fleas off pretty quick.  Terrible last night off Hughes.  Even on my wire.  I have heard if you soak a rag with WD40 and use it on your line as you play it out that will defeat them for a while.  Ok thats it.

The flea concentrations seem to vary quite a bit throughout the lakes and within the water column as well. Once the concentrations reach very high levels they will stick to just about anything including 150 lb downrigger wire for several feet sometimes. I know some folks figure that the specific lines they are using may "protect" them but if they glide through real high concentrations there isn't much that will keep them off although some lines are better at it than others (e.g. Sea Flee on riggers). The more vertical your lines (e..g. downriggers) are the more of the water column is covered and the higher the chances of encountering them and they also "seem to "cluster" in the thermocline so about the only thing that can be done is to keep checking and clearing lines and despite it being a PIA it offers a chance to change lures and setups and often while either pulling in or setting out fish may hit them. Trying to look  on the "positive" side of it :lol:

Strip 200' of line off and tie in 200' of 50 lb test and you won't have any problems on your riggers. The thick diameter don't allow for them to cling on. They cut easy enough on the wire dipsy's that you should be able to get them off in a few seconds. Most of the time they come off when going through the twilly tip if not, smack the line on the water a few times

Strip 200' of line off and tie in 200' of 50 lb test and you won't have any problems on your riggers. The thick diameter won't allow them to cling on. They cut easy enough on the wire dipsy's that you should be able to get them off in a few seconds. Most of the time they come off when going through the twilly tip if not, smack the line on the water a few times

How long does this infestation last? Headed up to fish with my son the weekend of Aug 15. Just looking for suggestions as whether or not to spool up with 40#line. we will be fishing the eastern area.

Thx

Jim

Although it may be really hard to tell exactly when they will end  much of it depends on water temperature  (unfortunately) so best guess is when the water temps go back down in the Fall so they will be with us for a while.

Although it may be really hard to tell exactly when they will end  much of it depends on water temperature  (unfortunately) so best guess is when the water temps go back down in the Fall so they will be with us for a while.

Thanks, guess I will spool up with 40# & hope for the best

Jim

I just had had S&R fill my rigger rods with 30lb. Blood run sea flee., can't wait to try it!

It works well. The only problem I have with it is that it is very slippery and I have to tighten down the drags on my reels much more than I would like to so there is a trade off.

It does have a slippery coating on it  and a lot of stretch as well. What I have found with the Black releases is that I have to make about 8 or 10 loops before putting it in the arm and it helps reduce the "line creep" rather than the 3 - 6 I put in with other line. I've used the Sea Flee for about 3 seasons and it does work well reducing the fleas and holds up pretty well but if the flea infestation is real severe it seems that nothing seems to be "bullet proof"

Edited by Sk8man

I'm sure glad I got a bulk spool of 20# flea flicker when they made it. I get ZERO fleas.

silverfoxcharters.net

Fished fro sat-wed out of olcott and the the fleas got worse each day.Wednesday was terrible as the clung heavy to 30# fleaflicker,30# blood run see fllea and wire.If i were fishing this weekend.......50# mono for sure. Its the worst I have seen in years.

I was out of Sandy on Tuesday and I thought the fleas were much, much worse weekend of the SCS.  I only got about half the number on Tuesday, but I only worked 150-250 feet of water west of the port so maybe I got just lucky with a small open patch of water that wasn't totally infested..

We had some really nice kings on, 1- 24 and 1 -14   this past weekend and the fleas were getting pretty heavy. Got 2 in and OOOPs  let 3 go to grow bigger, the lines jammed up even with power pro super braid. Smack tip  down against water Hard and fast shakes some off  and Keep reeling with tension On. That's called Fishing :)