Cayuga fish I D

" No dots below lateral line , forked tail, salmon head with black gums and mouth and the body color was cold steel looking not bright silver "

All the above descriptions say this isn't a bow. Mike is a very accomplished captain that I am sure has caught more fish on the fingers than most of us combined. The identity of this fish is not a bow! We may never truly know because the fish was released. He was probably staying legal within his limit of silver fish on Cayuga, even if he had three or more guys on the boat. That alone says a lot. Cool catch Mike! Nice king maybe the biggest ever caught out of Cayuga, lol! I still like the "HOBOW"

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rainbow. For sure.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's what I said but no one believes me... Whatever. ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

" No dots below lateral line , forked tail, salmon head with black gums and mouth and the body color was cold steel looking not bright silver "

All the above descriptions say this isn't a bow. Mike is a very accomplished captain that I am sure has caught more fish on the fingers than most of us combined. The identity of this fish is not a bow! We may never truly know because the fish was released. He was probably staying legal within his limit of silver fish on Cayuga, even if he had three or more guys on the boat. That alone says a lot. Cool catch Mike! Nice king maybe the biggest ever caught out of Cayuga, lol! I still like the "HOBOW"

Ok you're not included in that previous statement about amount of fish caught over your life Les! Lol!!

Small king for all the reasons John said. Never seen a rainbow with a black mouth for starters.

I can promise you its not a true finger lakes rainbow, not saying it maybe half rainbow but if I had to make the call I'm saying king all the way... We have an email in with pics but have no response as of yet... Thanks Nautitroller but les probably has a few more than me and I would respect anything about fishing he would tell me... But I can promise you this is not a rainbow. ..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Iron Duke

I guess it is possible but I'm having a hard time believing it. I don't know, just my B.S. Opinion. I'm still leaning toward a diseased rainbow but I'm no expert my any means. It would have been great to get some concrete evidence though.

I respect your opinion but I didn't want to kill it.. Just think if it was, someone might get a chance at it again when it's a bit bigger and man would that be a pretty cool suprise..

Mike

Edited by Iron Duke

Here's a simple yes or no process flow to determine the species.....

1. Mike has probably caught more fish on the finger lakes than 75% of the LOU members that fish them

- yes. Proceed to question 2.

- No. Rethink question 1 and resubmit answer.

2. Mike will pull out another FLT 1st place soon on a finger lake tournament.

- yes. Proceed to question 3.

- No. Honestly? Try again.

3. Mike could probably close his eyes and tell the difference between a rainbow and a chinook while we couldn't even tell it's a trout or salmon.

- yes. Proceed to final point

-no. I know that was out there........

Final Point. All in fun. I think Iron Duke caught something that was cool and glad like you said Mike it's still out there.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the vote of confidence Mike.....coming from you that is a real compliment but I'm not a fisheries biologist either and it could be some genetically mixed up combo. I know for a while back in time the cohos and kings were cross breeding somehow on Lake O and that was a real question mark at that time until they took a close look at the genetic profiles  so stuff like that can occur but the main features that John mentioned and that characteristic black mouth sure strongly suggests king, and full spotting of the tail, and spotting of dorsal (which wouldn't be if coho) and although it is hard to tell from the angle of the pic the head looks somewhat disproportionate to the body suggesting it might be malnourished too so the body could then be more slender too than that of a healthy king for its size throwing off ones perception of its body shape as looking like a rainbow or coho.  The anal fin would have been an important marker to have seen too as the fin rays would usually be 15 to 17 for a king (13 to 15 for coho) (As already mentioned the connection to Lake O via the canal system is there as it is to the Atlantic Ocean and Pacific salmon are known to wander thousands of miles in the ocean environment so the trek from Lake O would not be out of the question from a distance standpoint. It certainly is an interesting specimen and it would be good to know what the Cornell folks or DEC biologists think.

Edited by Sk8man

I went over a whole bunch of pics of rainbows and kings  I have caught on the Fingers and Lake O in the past (unfortunately didn't have anything that size though) and I have to admit after looking at all the variations in each species I'm not quite as sure as I was previous to that regarding the ID. The fact that the specimen looks a bit sickly adds to the possible confusion. I'd leave it to the experts on this one.

I went over a whole bunch of pics of rainbows and kings I have caught on the Fingers and Lake O in the past (unfortunately didn't have anything that size though) and I have to admit after looking at all the variations in each species I'm not quite as sure as I was previous to that regarding the ID. The fact that the specimen looks a bit sickly adds to the possible confusion. I'd leave it to the experts on this one.

I agree with ya Les ... This fish hit we new it hit.. We immediately reeled the fish in got a quick couple pics and released to fight another day... It could be anything but holding the fish personally in my hands to me definitely not a true rainbow.. Could possibly be a cross bread but like you said I'm still waiting on the experts to give me their opinions

Mike