Updated: Ideas on how to mount a trolling motor

The 9.9 should be fine. The mounting of it is another matter. Unfortunately as I look at the back of the boat I'm drawing a blank in its current configuration.

The reach out to the swim platform would be one of the major obstacles so you'd certainly need a remote throttle and steering setup

Edited by Sk8man

I saw a boat once where they cut off one end of a full-width swim platform. They remounted the bracket that holds it up, they cut off enough to make room for the kicker to be mounted conventionally, and still had room for the cooler, etc. It may be a radical idea, but it might just work. Just a thought.

Looks like getting kicker mounted would be pretty complicated. Do you know weight capacity and if swim platform was designed to accept kicker? Looks like composite boards to me so I doubt it was designed for a kicker. Likely you would have to remove one side of platform or the whole platform so you would have room for mount, kicker and steering mechanism to out drive unless you used stand alone steering system for kicker. Might be a project to work on in off season?

The 9.9 Honda would be good for your boat, I'm using the same thing for my 27 Eastern which weights in at 7800#. I can get the boat down to a sow craw for spring salmon in NH which is .8 to 1.1 mph and up to striper speeds of 4mph.

Mounting the motor on the swim platform is a very viable option. They make instillation kits through Kellogg Marine.

The other option is to have a loca welding shop fabricate a small bracket the would attach to the platform itself.

Steering the motor will be the difficult part. An ez-steer bar will work, you just need to flip the kicker bracket so it faces forward. The other option is a remote steering system which is the best way but it will carry a big price tag.

Good luck and make sure you post a pic when you have decided your options.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm mounting a 9.9 pro kicker to mine next week. This was on my boat when I bought and is extremely strong. They took 1/4" aluminum plate and sandwiches the swim platform. Then there are braces welded from the plate back to the boat underneath. I'm going to add a safety cable so heaven forbid something gave way I won't lose her to the bottom of the lake

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-152622-143829380234_thumb.jpg

post-152622-14382938332461_thumb.jpg

I had my Baha's swim platform removed and cut to accommodate the Panther Motor bracket. So now the swim platform is now 3/4 and my 15 hp. four-stroke Merc is solid to the transom. I considered mounting to the swim platform but didn't want the kicker motor that far behind the boat when landing fish. KJ has some very good suggestions as well, good luck!