Fly & Leader Storage

For flies, we hung up a pool noodle on our boat and we stick the hooks into the noodle and hang them down.  The skirt part of the fly hangs down and stops at the loop.  It's easy to see all of your flies and you have easy access.  They really don't get tangled at all.  The line also doesn't get loops in it from wrapping it around the noodle like some do.  

there really is no good way especially with coiling the leader. PITA really I have been using the plano tackle box tray system, works but the damn leader always is the PITA

I had an old riuinti ( sp) wooden wine box from the 70's lying around. I made some dividers from 1/4" plywood and slotted them to fit flashers and spin docs. Gave it a good coat of spar varnish and its my storage for them now. I can fit about 2 dozen flashers and spin docs in there and I like the look .

Basically you just got to think outside of the box ( pun intended ) and you will find all kinds of things to use as storage.

I agree , the leaders on the flies do coil pretty good but on the flip side , they are pretty easy to straighten them back out

Why is it bad to coil ? Every one I buy comes coiled.

Oh, I just meant in my plano box "tray" that  I am using. the fly fits in there but the coiled leader is to wide etc. I will have to post a pick to be understood. But yeah, I do coil my leaders.

Pool noodles for the leaders and hooks, for the flies themselves I cut up 2" 1/2 plastic tubing. Work great plus the fit in a Plano box by the hundreds.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

post-144635-0-49230200-1439037043_thumb.jpg I use tubes and store them in a flasher file box.  the tubes I use are actully from a science supply company they are used for cultures of fruit flys.  I repurposed them and they work great.  the lid has a hole in the middle so if there a little wet it will dry out.  and they are fairly cheap i get them from the company i work for but they are readily available online search drosophilla vial I use them without the foam plug 

I took a piece of 4" pvc about 30 inches long. glued and capped one end. Took a large diameter pool noodle and cut it at the same length. I stick two of the hooks from the treble into the foam and  wrap my pre rigged flies and leader around the foam nice and neat. stick a toothpick in to hold the loop at the end of the leader. I can fit a whole bunch of pre rigs on the foam. Then I slide them into the PVC pipe and loose cap the other end. They come out in perfect condition every time. 

I like these Amish Salmon Fly Caddy's. With an overhand knot on the tag end of your fly leader, changing them out is easy. And if there's a Frendly's Ice Cream nearby, their Fribbles comes with x-tra large straws which fit nicely over the flies. The pads also fit nicely in the gunwale rod lockers which I've converted into tackle boxes.

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=19&products_id=100&zenid=fefcfa20611742a42d57a0145073829e

Apologies to EKoselny...i missed your post!

post-151648-0-02722400-1439235278_thumb.jpg

Edited by Thun