Where to find seed for food plots?

Does anyone happen to know where you can find seed such as Brassicas, Turnips, clover, chicory, oats in the Rochester area? I want to try coming up with my own blends. The company's such as Whitetail Institut prices are outrageous for seed that is "specialty formulated for big bucks"! It's a scam for that stuff as far as I am concerned.

Thank Matt

You are correct on the scam/prices.  Any southern tier Ag/feed store will usually carry that stuff.  They don't have to pay to have Lee and Tiffany's face on the bag so MUCH cheaper.

Matt,

A friend of mine owns Land Management Services.   lmsoutdoors .com  He has blends made and I can tell you from experience they do very well. They are very reasonable..... He sponsers PBO outdoors and I know they use his stuff too. Give him a shout.  I can PM you some pictures if needed ;)

Brandon

I been buying seed from Agway in Dansville and Hemlock for years and I can tell ya theirs nothing left butt dirt in the spring. We plant around 5 acres a year and Have had great luck with Bonar Rape mixed with PT Turnip and Sugar Beets which we just planted 1.5 acres of this week. Also a pea oat and rye blend which will get planted in a few weeks. All AG grade seed in plane bags. Also some good company's on EBay To like Maxi Rack out of WI To purchase from. Cheep AG grade seed and as long as ya lime and fertilize accordingly the deer will eat it!!

post-154857-0-00151900-1438281233_thumb.jpg

post-154857-0-63195700-1438281338_thumb.jpg

post-154857-0-13150100-1438281466_thumb.jpg

post-154857-0-40009000-1438281489_thumb.jpg

I have had very good luck with Whitetail Institute products.  The cost of the seed is small in comparison to the other costs for lime, fertilizer, fuel for tractor, etc.  There is also a serious investment in time and work.  With all that I am happy to pay for the seed.  jperch

Edited by jperch

We to have used the WI and it came pretty good, I just think for the money it cost I can get double the amount of seed for the same price. We used Tall Tine Tubers and the deer ate it all right down to dirt.

Matt,

Check out an Agway store. They usually will work with you with seed, lime, feet etc. They typically stand behind whatever product they recommend and then deal with manufacturer so you don't have to. It can save you a lot of money and time in the long run plus you are supporting local business. You only pay for the amt of seed and other stuff that you need

Shawn

BTW, I have planted all kinds of brassica from WTI, Bio Logic, etc...  For some reason the stuff I get from Turners, they start eating much earlier in the season.

Took a nice buck last year on 10/1 that was crunching on PTP when I shot him...

Good luck