I-Bay 5/24

Had to fish my arse off but managed two nice eyes and tossed back about a half dozen largemouth....one absolute hog. Went till 4AM but most of my fish came in the last 2 hours after I FINALLY managed to get on top of some active fish.

East side. North of the 104 bridge. Trolling a perch colored Wally Diver. Moved over a decent looking screen and got a nice hit so I stopped and started casting. Lost one. Boated another. After I got the spot a little more dialed in, the crankbait went dead so I switched to a buck hair jig and leeches. Boated another, lost another, had a bunch of hits and pulled out a few bass too. I was pitching the jig on top of a drop off and walking it down. The bass came on the top of the ledge and the eyes on or towards the bottom. ALWAYS on the drop. 12-17FOW. Just woke back up and got around to measuring and cleaning them. 20" and 24". I've got to tell you though....it seems no matter where I go or what I try, I don't get any eyes until after like 11PM or later. And it's kickin my ass. I've got to spend more time trying the deeper water during the daylight or something.

Yes...north end launch. No I've never been broken into. And I hope ya didn't jinx me! Kidding. Seriously, no problems whatsoever down there. It was an enjoyable night. Very calm. Wind died right down. But don't get me wrong. The only reason I fish I-Bay is cash and convenience. I'm only 1 mile from the launch. I also usually only launch after 7:30ish after the launch fee attendant has packed it in. Were gas and time not an issue, I'd likely be on Oneida, Chataqua, Erie, Honeoye, or Consesus. All of which I believe are superior Walleye waters. I'm sort of forcing myself to make do and to learn as much as I can about the bay and whatever eyes happen to be in there. Even so, there are few things I'd rather be doing.

Thanks Bosco,thats good news.I had the back of my truck broken into at 9or 10 in the morning at the Genny. I'm only 10min.from the bay but I would rather fish some of the other lakes myself. You know the grass is greener .....I've got a green Chev. PU with a white cap and a 16ft. Lund, maybe we'll cross paths at the launch. Thank for the info. Mike.

Bosco nice fish surprised your vehicle did not get towed By the Iron police a few weeks ago we were heading out on the pier, the cop told us

we better be out by 9:45 or they will tow, no tickets just tow it,,

he was the usual Iron cop, anyway few other pier guys told me the same thing, They have been broken into also.. The pier has been on and off

nice pike torwards the end, there are some nice spots for eyes in the bay.

2 years ago we were trollin for the eyes at night I landed an 18 lb sheepshead thing was huge I say Huge good luck

Yes, we landed northern pike last Friday morning using minnows with bobbers. About 26 inches long - I didnt get to weight it because of the size. Pike action is very good at this time of the year.

I think I've had 2 bite through my line while walleye fishing this year (no steel leaders here). You know....where you get a hit and have a fish on for just a moment or two....and then they're just gone....and so's your lure. No snap. No hard fight. Just a tug or two....and then your line has a nice, clean cut and you're out a $7.00 Rapala. But on a brighter note, I took my brother out Sunday night. Fished again until 4AM. No eyes for me but an assortment of bass, sheeps head, perch, silver bass. My brother on the other hand landed 3 eyes, the biggest being 26". His 2nd biggest ever (his biggest being an 11+lber out of Quinte a number of years back) so he was pretty happy.

Bosco

Nice job on helping your bro catch fish on your boat. Right now, I cannot post pix of the pike I caught recently due to firewall at my office. Only the big ones - 36 inches plus - I will be sure to post for all to see!

tight lines

We set up the dipsy/bomber trolling program for walleye Saturday night from 11:30-2:30am and didn't catch a thing! Saw alot of marks in the 20-30fow but no takers. We worked the east shoreline from the sand hill to Glen Edith.

Any suggestions?

You know....where you get a hit and have a fish on for just a moment or two....and then they're just gone....and so's your lure. No snap. No hard fight. Just a tug or two....and then your line has a nice, clean cut and you're out a $7.00 Rapala.

Thought that only happened to me :D