Cayuga 8/1 lake turnover?

Fished out of long point this morning. Ended up boating 7 lakers jigging. Did notice really green water everywhere, even back down to lansing. Super slow for us just wondered if anyone else noticed the water and if anybody has an answer on the possible flipping?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We drove all the way around the lake today hit pumpkin hill, Seneca falls back to Watkins ( mistake with fest) unbelievable green looked like the Caribbean ocean! Really cool I have never seen anything like it. Algae bloom or turnover?

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fished Long Point 7/31--my first impression was an algae bloom, or maybe the whiting effect--calcium carbonate precipitation from plankton photosynthesis. John Gaulke posted it was mud from the heavy rains on 7/30. I'm not sure what it was, but lake trout jigging was slow to slower.

It's not from rain we haven't had much I heard they got hit good up north but not from deans south I fished yesterday deans and 10 miles south its all green I think the lake is turning over but i don't know but it was the best fishing I've had this year

Edited by darkwater1

Agreed it's not the rain.  We had a lot more rain several times earlier this year that didn't do that to the lake.  That last round was nothing compared to the last few months of rain.  Algae sounds likely.

Algae. Fishing is always tougher on a clear full moon. Fish feed at night. However, I had very good fishing Sat around Long Point. The fish were deeper for me. 75 to 90 down. That bite died around 9:30 so I ventured over and fished towards Sheldrake and got into the salmon. Some very nice ones 4 to 6 lbs. 75 down back 5 with a white protroll and a big weenie Seneca ghost. We did lakers too but they were smaller then the nice 7 to 10 lbers over at LP. I'll be back out sunday. I was fishing 120 to 150 FOW. My spoons were dead, almost all fish were on protrolls. Spinnys were dead too.

Looked like they were spread fertilizer in Romulus on the fields. Maybe higher levels of fertilizer plus run off. We had one or two good rains. After that I noticed the color change.

Hard to say what other parts are doing, color looks lake spread and not just near run off areas.

Looked like they were spreading fertilizer in Romulus on the fields. Maybe higher levels of fertilizer plus run off. We had one or two good rains. After that I noticed the color change.

Hard to say what other parts are doing, color looks spread lake wide and not just near run off areas.

I'm thinking the fertilizer is the right answer. I think it came in with all the down pours we got this spring, right after the farmers planted all their corn. Water carries away the Nitrogen which leaves the corn looking short, and pale green colored. We see a lot of corn looking that way this year.

I don't think I've ever seen Cayuga as green as she is now.