New to trolling for pike/musky

Trying to rig up my boat and I figured I would ask some questions. I have a 16ft Smokecraft tiller steer and I currently have some plastic Scotty style holders. I want to upgrade to something stronger like salty down east or similar. I am thinking about maybe having something welded up to mount to or just mount them to the side of the boat. Being that it is a tiller steer if anyone has an advice, I would greatly appreciate where to mount them/configuration? Thanks in advance.

post-148162-0-07553100-1438536105_thumb.jpg

Down East saltys are what you want . You should be fine with the clamp ons...nothing extra needed. Should be able to run up to 4 boat rods and could even run inline boards too for 6 rods if you wanted. Board rods most forward in the boat. Down rod and a side rod on each side. Use like 9 or 10' rods on the side and maybe 7' rods for your down rods and bury 1/3 to 1/2 the rod in the water. If two guys, each guy run a down rod and a side rod right by where they are seated. Down rod farthest back, side rod right in front of that and possibly a planer board rod in front of that. Other guy fishes out the opposite side of the boat with his 2 or 3 rods.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

Check out Folbe rod holders also. I have run them for 4 seasons now trolling muskies and also dipsy divers on Lake O. I am pretty rough on them and troll up onto shoals/etc...they have been rock solid for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

bhebby, We have the same boat.  I think major difference is the placement of the gas and battery.  I find it hard to pick up rods off the back and granted I do not drag lines often I suggest you make sure you place them where you can reach them from the seat.  If it is just you or two, I also suggest pulling the middle seat so you have more room to operate when it matters.  The resorter is a great boat for fishing slow but has some limitations.  I think bigger sport fish are more difficult to handle but very doable.  I was excited when I got mine for the long live well.  Good luck and tight lines.

Ivan, I like your rig.  Very nice indeed.

bhebby, We have the same boat. I think major difference is the placement of the gas and battery. I find it hard to pick up rods off the back and granted I do not drag lines often I suggest you make sure you place them where you can reach them from the seat. If it is just you or two, I also suggest pulling the middle seat so you have more room to operate when it matters. The resorter is a great boat for fishing slow but has some limitations. I think bigger sport fish are more difficult to handle but very doable. I was excited when I got mine for the long live well. Good luck and tight lines.

Ivan, I like your rig. Very nice indeed.

Thank you.

You could pull your middle seat, but i wouldn't run the passengers rods by the front seat. Id keep those rods as far back in the boat as possible. I wouldnt want them any farther forward than where that middle seat should be. If your passenger wanted to sit in the front seat they can easily get to their rods...they just have to get up.

As the driver of that tiller, i would want my rods right next to me on the side that i would sort of be facing while driving with a passenger. If you are by yourself move a clamp on holder. Run a rod out each side of the boat back by your seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Ivan

I don't troll so i know nothing. If i was going to i would take Ivan's advice. It appears he knows what he's talking about. Looks like some serious experience being offered up here.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United