Boat upgrade

It is a good size boat for lake o fishing. It sounds like you are more intimidated by running a boat that size which in many respects is a good thing as you will be more careful. Time behind the wheel will build your confidence.  Good Luck.

I was used to driving an 18 foot  open bow on Conesus Lake and when I bought a bigger boat with a closed bow this year for the lake the biggest issue I had and still sometime have is docking.  The first two times were a three ring circus, now for the most part I do all right but every so often I get a day that reminds me I need more practice.  Channel and Lake control are non issues.  Best advice is patience and be calm, which of course is easier said than done in the beginning.  

bandrus said  survey because he said ANY thoughts  and buying a big boat  there is much more to it than just driving it.    You have to store it, tow it,   put more gas in,  learn the things the bigger boats  ( blowers, all the wiring, out drive maintenance,  winterizing the motor, winterizing outdrive, winterizing washdown pump, many other little things break that you don't think about everyday, as well as the extra safety gear you will need)

these are the things you have to think about when jumping up to a bigger boat.  ( not saying stuff on smaller boats doesn't break, just saying there is that much more in a bigger boat)     But if you feel like you can handle repair and maintenance  then it is MUCH nicer to fish on lake Ontario with!   

and  driving it comes with time,  honestly  practice docking  a few times when you first get it.   try it going straight in, try backing in,   when it is windy!!  and it really helps when you have others there in case you may hit something!  

hope this helps not hinders your choice!  the Penn Yann's are good fishing boats!  

post-146504-14394764186431_thumb.jpg

This is the way I have my Pro Hunter set up. 3 riggers, dipsy's on the back corners. You can put all of your rods in the back to make it easier to watch your spread.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Don't go faster then you want to hit the dock.

Exactly. That is the whole point. When I got into my 28 footer, I panicked way too much. Now if the wind takes me, I don't touch the dial. If I have to nudge something, no damage is done. It's when you gun it and over compensate that the real damage happens.

I went from a 19 to a 28 footer. By the end of month 1, I was confident, but like others said, never get overly confident. Being intimidated is a good thing, keeps you on high alert and prepared. The best thing is to captain the boat and make sure everyone follows YOUR instructions. You don't need 2 people giving instructions. Before I head out I always go over the docking procedure for when we get back, BEFORE not after. I can show guys on the dock in my own time, no pressure, what I need them to do.  I even go over what we need to do if something goes wrong. When we get back, everything works like clock work.  Even when a gust blows me away from the dock, everyone stays in check and we get it sorted out.

In terms of speed, jog the drive into gear and back to neutral in 1 second spurts (1 second on, 2 seconds in neutral). This gets you moving really slowly, to the point that with a single you can pretty much pivot on point. You can practice that in open water and you will get really good at it.

Another trick is to go to neutral about 2 or 3 slips BEFORE you reach your slip. This means you will be virtually stopped by the time you get to your slip and any movement of the drive in conjuction with a steer to starboard or port, will pivot the boat on point.  Just go slow and don't panick, all will be fine.

Never let a boat size intimidate you from a purchase, you can learn to drive, but you can't undo buying a smaller boat (and wishing you had gone bigger), at least not without losing a lot of money.

The channel is 8 1/2". It works great for mounting equipment, but it's on there for the added depth it gives to the boat. It's a much more secure feeling when the pond is rocking and you're fighting fish. Let me know if you want anymore measurements

I would look in the yellow pages for steel fabricators. They usually carry it or they can get it for you. The rail is made from aluminum channel and was originally made in Sodus for Arney's Marina. You could get in touch with them and they could tell you who made it