4 pin trailer harness

BSmaster

I have been having trouble with my trailer lights for awhile now.  I decided to bite the bullet and replace the plug.  When I unwrapped the electrical tape, this is what I found.  I couldn't understand why the lights worked but were dim and turn signals were on both sides.  Apparently when I launched in Hemlock, I got a lot of water up in the electrical tape and it stayed there as a short.  I have never seen these snap connectors used for this before.  The AC twist cap is a new one for me too.  It is definitely a get r done moment.

I forwent (because I forgot to get it) the shrink wrap and just used electrical tape.  I hope there are no issues with the new plug harness.  I used the inline connectors.

Am I wrong?

post-149943-0-54314000-1438637453_thumb.jpg

Not sure about the plug. Any time I have had trouble with trailer lights it was always the ground. My one trailer I ran jumper wires from the ground at the tongue of the trailer back to each ground at the lights. This solved all the problems I was having.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The snap connectors are ok but do allow water in and the corrision is a killer. They are best used inside someoine where they are protected. As above most problems with trailer lights are grounding issues. it is always best to soldeir and shrink wrap when you can  

Scotch locks. Worst invention ever. I don't understand why people use them, even factory assembly lines do... Best connection you can ever do is some solder and heat shrink. Guaranteed for life. As long as it was done on clean wire. But next best thing is to waterproof it, and that liquid electrical tape is good stuff.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

To clarify, the picture is what I had.  I replaced those connections with the butt splice connector and a new plug.  I forgot & then I was too tired (lazy) to run back out to get the shrink wrap.  I did wrap each wire individually with tape before wrapping them together.  The original harness had all of the connectors wrapped together (without individual insulation) and when I launched in Hemlock is when it must have gotten soaked and created the short.  I have never seen twist caps used for DC and I have never seen snap locks used outside of the vehicle.  I am worried that it may get soaked again.  If that is the case, I will know sooner how to remedy the situation.  I took the pic because my first impression when I unravelled the tape was WTF? 

I will find out how I did but Nick is right - solder and shrink wrap is best.  If you pay to have someone do it, they may do it quick like the pic in the front and that is not a long term solution.  I bought my rig this way so I think this was a do it your selfer mess.

It is a ritual when I launch.  Unstrap the transom, and on the way back to the truck unplug the lights and place the insert in the cab.  The issue with Hemlock is that the launch is so shallow that the truck is basically up to the cab so the entire wire harness is under water by several inches.  I always unplug them so the bulbs don't pop being warm and then hitting the cool water.  Maybe I will break down and get LEDs.