huge Atlantic oswego area

Not trying to start a debate (because it's not debatable) Google the cross breeding of Atlantic Salmon and brown trout and you'll find studies done in Europe , that proves it happens.

Funny just discussed this last weekend....And in fact at a presentation up at the Catskill Fly Fishing museum by DEC, they in fact have seen some cross breeding in their studies in the Salmon river. They've netted some hybrid fish. Not a common occurrence by any means but it has happened.

Not trying to start a debate (because it's not debatable) Google the cross breeding of Atlantic Salmon and brown trout and you'll find studies done in Europe , that proves it happens.

Funny just discussed this last weekend....And in fact at a presentation up at the Catskill Fly Fishing museum by DEC, they in fact have seen some cross breeding in their studies in the Salmon river. They've netted some hybrid fish. Not a common occurrence by any means but it has happened.

Very interesting that they can crossbreed. However, it is still highly doubtful that a brown and an Atlantic could crossbreed in a Lake O trib given the spawning characteristics of each species and the rivers/streams in which to do it. Europe maybe but not NY.

I've seen the pic of the fish and, as Rod said above, there is NOTHING "brown" about it. My guess is that a young DEC intern read the article about cross breeding in Europe and decided on her own that the fish was a hybrid. Without extensive genetic testing that conclusion is simply wrong. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yeah Paul I didn't see the fish so not including it, but DEC and USGS has in their Spring seining looking for wild Chinnies found cross bred par from the SR. Not sure folks understand, Atlantic Salmon either Landlocks or ocean run fish, spawn in the Oct, Nov time frame, even though they ascend rivers as early as May and June. And so do Brown trout spawn in Oct, and Nov. The other thing to think about in the Sheep and Man fertilization VS fish,.....Fish lay and fertilize eggs out side of their bodies, in the river gravel. Just about any fish with the tools to do so can get involved so to speak. Crazy stuff man.

But ya know, none of this is written in stone. This whole spawning thing is still an open book. Things change, ever hear of evolution? 

Look how the king's are spawning at an earlier age. But then again that has to do with less bait fish in Lake Ontario (a whole different subject).

But ya know, none of this is written in stone. This whole spawning thing is still an open book. Things change, ever hear of evolution? 

Look how the king's are spawning at an earlier age. But then again that has to do with less bait fish in Lake Ontario (a whole different subject).

Actually, Kings maturing early is due to EXCESSIVE Alewives in the lake in relation to the pelagic predator population, and the fast start some of the pen projects are providing.