Setting up a Fly

When you guys open up a brand new Atomik fly, how long do you leave the leader?  I usually double the line over a few inches and tie an overhand knot to make a loop.  And attach it to my Spin Doctor by pushing the loop through the eye of the swivel, and pulling the fly through the loop.  But how long should I be leaving the leader?

Edited by jigstick

you have it about right. i wrap mine twice length wise around spin dr or echip and add a couple inches also. some days 19" work better and other days 24" or longer work better. most of mine are within a couple inches of each other  

See I think I'm doing it wrong. Because once I tie my loop I have been trimming off the tag ends. So I'm basically left with it at that length. I can't make it longer. Should I not do that? And just make my loop bigger to take up the slack?

i trim my tag ends off. i have multiples of most flies and they are usually a liitle longer/shorter than the others. that way you can run the same fly on two different setups and if one is taking alot more hits than the other you can change to match. 

When you guys open up a brand new Atomik fly, how long do you leave the leader?  I usually double the line over a few inches and tie an overhand knot to make a loop.  And attach it to my Spin Doctor by pushing the loop through the eye of the swivel, and pulling the fly through the loop.  But how long should I be leaving the leader?

24" is a good place to start

Most of ours fall into either 18-24" or 32-36". There are other details to consider as well (Tom Allen has outlined some of these on his Facebook South Shore Reports page) including putting the fly behind an echip vs spin doc vs kingfisher vs metal dodger vs ..., lead length behind the rigger ball or dipsy, type and poundage of leader material, speed at depth, etc. These can all affect the pulsing and movement of the fly. 

With an 8 in attractor it really depends on the speed you troll. I tend to troll on the faster side. 2.5-3.0 so I have better luck with 23-27 inches. This is from the end of the loop to the top of the fly. If you like a slow troll 18-22 is probably better.

This is on topic as well. Does anyone take the fly skirt off and flip it so that the plastic tube piece points toward the hook? Seems like the skirt is fuller and has more movement in the water that way. I don't know why they come the other way