Lake Trout at Sandy Creek.

Use a peanut or spin-n-glow. They are made of foam so they float and don't snag junk off the bottom. I forgot to mention that you want to drag your cowbells right at or near the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I tried cowbells and a peanut on the bottom Sunday and nothing. But may have been fishing too fast

Are you trying out of Sandy Creek in  Hamlin or near the Salmon River?  The Sandy in Hamlin is littered with lakers. 

Cowbells and Spin n glows or peanuts is the number one producer for lakers.  Spoons and flashers and flies will work but it will not out  produce the proper art of dragging cowbells. 

I would go real slow - less than 1.8 and down to 1.4.   We have our best luck with hammerhead flasher / peanuts but if those are not working will I would switch to flasher fly.   We have had days where those work way better than peanuts.

I would make sure the ball is literally dragging the bottom stirring things up.   The problem with this can be zebra muscles get on your hooks and if that occurs we do not get any hits.

Sometimes we will mix a flasher fly on one side and hammerhead / peanut on the other.   We have seen that combo work well where they do not hit the hammerhead / peanut but will hit the flasher / fly.  

The last item we have seen deals with the downrigger electronic pulse.   We have experimented with this or at least we think we have.   We have unplugged one rigger and left the other one plugged in.   Sometimes we have seen the fish hit the rigger with it turned off and other days they will only hit the one that is turned on.  

Are you trying out of Sandy Creek in  Hamlin or near the Salmon River?  The Sandy in Hamlin is littered with lakers. 

Cowbells and Spin n glows or peanuts is the number one producer for lakers.  Spoons and flashers and flies will work but it will not out  produce the proper art of dragging cowbells.

Listen to Brian he's the king laker taker!

If the lake is calm enough, you can use your trolling motor to bottom bounce an old/battered cannon ball (I haven't lost one in 2 years, but other have had them snag and break off).

Start trolling slowly with hammer head style flasher and a peanut.   Let out your cannonball until it hits bottom, and if you are really worried about losing it, reel it in a foot or 2.   You can see if

you are hitting bottom by watching the bend in your rod.   It will rise and fall as your ball tracks over the contours of the bottom.    

Some days you can catch more than you want, other days...meh.

One tip I've learned.   Try to reel them in slowly.   They will come up quickly if you haul on them, and usually they blow their swim bladders and won't survive.   Then again, if you are looking 

to keep them...haul away!

On the finger lakes I fish spin-n-glo's. It is not that peanuts do not work they do. The problem is that the peanuts will spin out if you go to fast. At faster speeds we can still catch other species as well with spoons and flasher fly combo's. Our normal trolling speed is 2.2 to 3 mph. We catch plenty of lakers at those speeds. We found that spin dr. do not produce well below 2.2. Wes

Are you trying out of Sandy Creek in Hamlin or near the Salmon River? The Sandy in Hamlin is littered with lakers.

Cowbells and Spin n glows or peanuts is the number one producer for lakers. Spoons and flashers and flies will work but it will not out produce the proper art of dragging cowbells.

"Littered" is the perfect word Brian👎ðŸ¼ðŸ˜†

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United