Penn Yan stringer replacement

Mickey Finn

Got a chance to buy back a 1992 Penn Yan 255 Intruder that I sold back in 2002. Stringers are soft and the lower part of the transom is too. Has anyone on here attempted doing this work themselves? Just wondering about how to approach this if I do it. I think the stringers are good from the front of the fuel tank towards the bow. Looks like the options are remove all the screws under the rub rail and take the top off or just cut the floor out enough to access the bad stringers and lower part of the transom. Then I would glass the floor back in. Has anyone attempted this? I'd like to know how much time and money it took if you did. I'm also interested in if you might have hired it done on a boat like this and how much that cost and what they did to fix it. Thanks

I had stringers replaced in my Competitor a couple years ago. Used a product called sea cast. Awesome product and will never rot. Cut the tops off the stringer boxes, cleaned out all the wood, poured in the cast. After it hardened, expoxied the caps back on the stringer boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have no idea how much work this would involve to put it altogether but TJ has a "new" 2002 Intruder hull for sale on his website, $200

http://www.pennyanboats.com/fiberglass.htm

Probably the last hull they made and never finished

Depending on any other issues with your hull it might be worth looking into, TJ would probably know what it takes to do it

Clint at Samson marine did my 94 255 intruder back in spring of 2013. Around 9k, but worth it. Stringers, transom and tank stringers up to captains chair all replacement. Plus other small mods I wanted done. Do it right the first time.

Clint at Samson marine did my 94 255 intruder back in spring of 2013. Around 9k, but worth it. Stringers, transom and tank stringers up to captains chair all replacement. Plus other small mods I wanted done. Do it right the first time.

I never used Clint but I hear he's very good, from more than one source. I have used the guys out of Sodus but they're gone now