Echip Protroll vs Spinny: WTF

Why would you use on vs the other?  Is there a rationale based on where the fish are at a given time of year?  Or what depth they are in?  Or is it just personal preference?  Is it  possible to run Spinnys on one side of the boat, and Echips on the other?  Or an Echip on a dipsy and a Spinny off a rigger on the same side of the boat?  Stacked?  Ive never used an Echip Protroll before.

I don't get into the debate over what is better.  The Protrolls displace a little more water and have the echip making sound so more of a "loud" paddle.  When fish are beginning to get aggressive (like now) sometimes they prefer the protroll paddles.  Otherwise......no real difference in hook ups for me.

how far back from the ball do you run the protrolls?  like 15-20ft?  Maybe I should have at least 1 or 2 of these Protrolls with me for my Olcott trip.  I already have j7-8 Spindoctors.  Any brand or color in particular that has a good reputation of being productive?  I know my MTN Dew, Crush Glow, and Green/Black Spindoctors produce well.  Should I just buy Echip Protrolls in the same color scheme?

Chrome edge/ double crush glow is always in the water for me......SD or Protroll.  Make sure when you come up to bring your heavier downrigger weights and your Mag dipsys.

Should be ok with rigger weights if you keep your down speed closer to 2 mph.  You won't get much below 80' down with a standard dipsy.  You could always add a torpedo diver 50' ahead of your dipsy on an OR-16 release to get additional depth.......or you could just buy a Mag dipsy for $12 and catch some fish lol.

I have 12lb balls, and #1 Dipsys with Rings on 30lb 7strand wire.  Will this be ok?

We have had good success with majors in 100 to 120 ft lately your drivers and weights should be fine . Pre stage fish starting to show up .

Edited by bigblue

What brands seem to be popular?  I see Protroll and Michigan Stinger have E-Chips.  Do the Dreamweaver and Luhr Jensen paddles NOT?

im confused on which ones I need to be looking at.  I would like to pick up atleast two 8in echip flasher.  one in a green/glow color, and maybe another in a purple glow color scheme.  Maybe blue glow.  Im going to run these deeper.  and spoons, Spindoctors + fly up higher

I run spin docs with pro trolls at same time they both work well I put spin doc on riggers and pro troll on the dipsy I have both divers mags and # 1s will say when letting out the mag diver let it out real slow or they like to turn around and wont release 300 ft out comes back to boat like pulling a tank not fun