Broadheads..(Rage)

It's all about the shot placement and a sharp head....personally I think rages are for the people that don't want to take the time to properly tune their bow...... If done correct fp and bh shoot the same.... Doesn't take that much time to tune....we all know how long a deer lives if you shoot him right......

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Lets be honest, any one of us can lose (or have) a deer. Could be deflection, angle, excitement, arrows, speed. But we have to make the best decision that makes us feel the most confident. Weather that's fixed or expandable. Bottom line- practice and be confident ! Good luck to all this year

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by steelie

I have Muzzys from 5 years ago just replace the blades. How many rinkity expendables do you guys still have from 5 years ago? Make a good shot guys

I actually have had the same rage broad heads for a few years and just buy replacement blades when need be. I can't find any rinkity parts on them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I shot both these deer last year with standard 3 blade rages. The doe is an exit and you can't see the entrance on the buck because it was right behind the shoulder. The doe was quartering to me and passed through the buck the broad head was stuck in the far ribs and the heart was in 2 pieces. 4th deer I've hit with rages and I have lost one but it was a deflected shot that hit up in no mans land above the shoulder. post-149334-14413783287349_thumb.jpgpost-149334-14413783395853_thumb.jpg

I shot both these deer last year with standard 3 blade rages. The doe is an exit and you can't see the entrance on the buck because it was right behind the shoulder. The doe was quartering to me and passed through the buck the broad head was stuck in the far ribs and the heart was in 2 pieces. 4th deer I've hit with rages and I have lost one but it was a deflected shot that hit up in no mans land above the shoulder. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1441378327.941545.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1441378338.846597.jpg

Beauty of Buck!

Another point might be you can kill a deer with a field point if its in the kill zone. For me it's a choice of increased penetration through the front shoulder, if it gets in there the deer is dead, simple as that. Again, rage are deadly no doubt and this debate has brought out their weaknesses and strengths.

I don't know bout you guys but I'm ready to replenish my venny cache!!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

All 75gr. fixed blade 1" cutting diameter.

1st photo is a straight on shot directly into the neck. Not the best of shot placements but got the job done. 128" 8 point

2nd photo goes with 3rd and 4th

The 3rd one down shows a 30 yard hard quartering away entry (just in front of the left rear hip) and the 4th photo shows the exit wound (behind the front right shoulder). I shoot light arrows around 375 grains weight including broadhead, out of a 62# bowtech tribute. 139" 9 point

5th photo was of a smaller 10 point buck but worth mentioning because it was a 50 yard shot broadside went 60 yards and piled. Ended up cutting his heart in half. 129" 10 point.

Hey I'm not bragging but fixed blades work for me.

Sent from my thinking chair...

post-149865-14414138854101_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14414139585241_thumb.jpg

post-149865-1441413972987_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14414139871702_thumb.jpg

post-149865-14414140059037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

My 129" 10 pointer only went 40 yards before it took the official dirt nap and that was from 55 yards with a rage.  :thinking: Just busting stones but like some other people have said it all comes down to shot placement. Some people do like to shoot deer directly in the shoulder with a bow, which I don't quite understand, but Rages admittedly do not work for that. For right behind the shoulder to about 4 inches up where I like to place the arrow Rages work. I would like to shoot fixed blades because they are a little more forgiving but my bow is already tuned in for the Rage and they work for now.

someone told me the three blade rage are illegal in new York as they are considered barbed anybody else have any info on this

Pretty sure they are illegal to use in NY, I know a few of the shops and big box stores have PA legal only signs hanging near the rage 3 blade heads. Perfectly legal to sell in NY.

Edited by Lunchbox

Pretty sure they are illegal to use in NY, I know a few of the shops and big box stores have PA legal only signs hanging near the rage 3 blade heads. Perfectly legal to sell in NY.

2 blades were illegal but I believe they are legal now.

I used to shoot nap thunderheads when I shot aluminum arrows. Once I switched to carbon I went with rage 2 blade due to better flight. I shoot an older bow and just couldn't get my fixed blades to fly well. I have yet to shoot a deer with the rage heads though. Hunting in the adk mountains with a bow is far different than u southern zone boys

I used to shoot nap thunderheads when I shot aluminum arrows. Once I switched to carbon I went with rage 2 blade due to better flight. I shoot an older bow and just couldn't get my fixed blades to fly well. I have yet to shoot a deer with the rage heads though. Hunting in the adk mountains with a bow is far different than u southern zone boys

You must have some serious patience hunting in the ADK's. Do you try to find mast, any apples up there? I am blessed with some nice farm land to hunt here but I love chasing state land deer around my area. Key is their food source. I missed one of the biggest bucks I have ever shot at on state land a couple years back. I was just out trying to fill a doe tag and this big sway back gnarly ten strolled by, an unseen branch saved his life. Saw him one more time the day before opening gun. No one killed him.. he has a honey hole to hide in, and I believe his area shrinks every year he gets older. The guys that have 500 acres leased next to the state land have cameras every where not one photo of him.. cool to know those boys are out there...

It is and I have to admit that I do not bow hunt much because of it. Not many Apple trees where I am tend to lean towards acorns and beach its but typically the deer are not eating this during bow season as much. Water is everywhere so setting up around that is useless. I hunt primarily state land. I do better during rifle season. Last buck I shot was two years ago on a 6 day backpack hunt that a me and a few friends do. It was a nice 10 point I shot it on a Thursday and hung it up at our spike camp till Sunday when we dragged it the 5 miles out to the truck. When I got it on my scale it weighed 205 lbs and that was hanging dead for over 3 days

It is and I have to admit that I do not bow hunt much because of it. Not many Apple trees where I am tend to lean towards acorns and beach its but typically the deer are not eating this during bow season as much. Water is everywhere so setting up around that is useless. I hunt primarily state land. I do better during rifle season. Last buck I shot was two years ago on a 6 day backpack hunt that a me and a few friends do. It was a nice 10 point I shot it on a Thursday and hung it up at our spike camp till Sunday when we dragged it the 5 miles out to the truck. When I got it on my scale it weighed 205 lbs and that was hanging dead for over 3 days

Do you do that trip to Curtis Clearing with the big group from Northville?

My 129" 10 pointer only went 40 yards before it took the official dirt nap and that was from 55 yards with a rage. :thinking: Just busting stones but like some other people have said it all comes down to shot placement. Some people do like to shoot deer directly in the shoulder with a bow, which I don't quite understand, but Rages admittedly do not work for that. For right behind the shoulder to about 4 inches up where I like to place the arrow Rages work. I would like to shoot fixed blades because they are a little more forgiving but my bow is already tuned in for the Rage and they work for now.

My experience agrees 100 per cent...though i won't be even thinking of shooting anything but a rage...i enjoy watching all my deer drop....i get enough tracking in on deer others shoot.

John,

Im very sorry to hear your dog won't be tracking any longer. A fine dog will be missed afield....

Jo

Dr. Ashby has the most valid approach. Why make your set up for when things go right, build your set up for when things go wrong. Going right = nice shot placement, minimal quartering. Going wrong = poor shot placement, hitting shoulder web, aggressive quartering causing arrow glance. Fixxed blade, heavy arrow is key. Very few people are utilizing the great technology in power that the modern bows have to send a bone crushing heavy fixed blade at their quarry, instead they all go for speed, flat trajectory, poor penetration, and poor performing mech. broadheads. Poor performing on heavy bone and glancing shots. If you don't know who Dr. Ashby is and you bow hunt, I suggest you read some of his data! BTW I have shot 14plus deer with Mini blaster 3s mech. in the past, 2 got away because of glancing on a heavy quartering shots. 2 was enough for me. Bulk up and shoot a quality cut on contact fixed blade

Dr. Ashby has the most valid approach. Why make your set up for when things go right, build your set up for when things go wrong. Going right = nice shot placement, minimal quartering. Going wrong = poor shot placement, hitting shoulder web, aggressive quartering causing arrow glance. Fixxed blade, heavy arrow is key. Very few people are utilizing the great technology in power that the modern bows have to send a bone crushing heavy fixed blade at their quarry, instead they all go for speed, flat trajectory, poor penetration, and poor performing mech. broadheads. Poor performing on heavy bone and glancing shots. If you don't know who Dr. Ashby is and you bow hunt, I suggest you read some of his data! BTW I have shot 14plus deer with Mini blaster 3s mech. in the past, 2 got away because of glancing on a heavy quartering shots. 2 was enough for me. Bulk up and shoot a quality cut on contact fixed blade

Clap,clap,clap! Well said!!

I will be using 500 grain arrows this season.  I have noticed I have to turn my target sideways with an angled board behind it because my arrows are going thru it.  You don't need the Ashby system as it is overkill for whitetails.  You will also be shooting $80-120.00 per arrow if Ashby had his way.

Just out of curiosity how much do your arrows weigh and how fast is your bow....ive done the momentum calculation on my setup....ive recovered EVERY deer ive touched with a rage....I'd have to go back and count but i watched all but one deer die on over 20 deer....the one that ran dropped within sight of where the deer was...and was 52yds. I love not tracking...how is this poor performance? Im not arguing as i understand your and dr ashby's point just wondered what you consider proper arrow weight and speed...ie .momentum?