Caanandaigua 8-7-15 Some action today (finally)

I went solo this morning at 6AM and launched at the north end and stayed there at the north end for most of the day. I had no sooner (5 minutes of fishing) got my lines in the water (2 downriggers one with slider the other with a section of leadcore, a 300 copper with spoon  and the rigger fired.with a 4 lb laker 55 ft down over 69 ft.  A few minutes later I had a triple  both riggers and the copper ended up with 5 lb laker and lost the other two fish before I could get to the rods one stripped some line pretty good. A little while later about 7:30 the 55 ft downrigger went off and as soon as I cinched up the slack I at first thought I had bottom or something it was so heavy  but I was in 70 ft and then it took off peeling line and staying down. I was running the big motor and needed to slow it down but was unable to get to the throttle (I guess an autopilot would be nice after all :lol: ) Anyway the fish was barely budging even woith the drag tightened down pretty good and then all of a sudden I could feel it give and he was gone.....very heavy fish but didn't get a look.

i trolled in that area from 6-noon and caught 8 lakers and 3 rainbows all released except the biggest rainbow that I had a hell of a time getting the hook out of and he was a nice 25 inch male and interestingly had dark markings on his cheeks and in his mouth. I trolled out deeper when things shut off and marked only one fish in 3 more hours of trolling south (east side/middle to Pelican Point). The bait and fish seem to be at the north end and on the west side right now.  While I was fighting the rainbow the Canandaigua Lady went by and the people were scoping things out.....quite the audience :lol:  Most of the fish came on the same no name taped up spoon. Fun day!

post-145411-0-34500000-1438989750_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-54571300-1438989769_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-65437700-1438989809_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-33117800-1438989827_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Nice- sound like a fun day! I drove by Canandaigua today, it looked like it was beautiful!

How were the fleas? I'm sure you have it down where you can fight them off.

My setup relies on divers heavily, and braid gets mangled out there.

Nice job! The black on the head of that bow is pretty interesting.

Thanks and it truly was a beautiful day. By the way, I purposely didn't use wire or braid today and it was primarily downrigger action and one on copper. I have SeaFlee 30 lb.on all my downrigger rods and I didn't have ANY fleas on them today including connections. There were a few weeds present and mostly toward the middle and east on the north end. Things are good here Mike and I hope with you as well bud.

Edited by Sk8man

Sure comes in handy to be retired when fishing Canandaigua because the weekends are a complete loss if you have to use the north end launch because during this part of the season the trailers are parked right out to the main road (hundreds of them) and many of the folks using the boats don't have a clue there..... and then there are the cigar boats and jet skiis to brighten up your day after 10 AM even during the week :lol: