Spooling up wire line

One of my wire rods is in need of new line.  When I bought the rods(Shimano Talora with CV 30 D) they were already spooled with 30# Malin.  I just got 1000 feet of new Malin 30# 7 strand line and was wondering if I need backing or will the entire spool will fit on the Okuma CV30D reel?  Also, when I go to put the line on does it need to be put on super tight like the braids?

Thanks,

Andy

Mine will need respooled next year. I was under the impression that you need to put a little bit of backing on the reel so that the wire doesnt chew into your spool. A few laps of braid or some duct tape. Something along those lines.  But maybe im wrong.

Edited by jigstick

You are correct jigstick.  I know there are a lot of "experts' on here that will disagree but here is what the "reel" experts say about it. :)

Additionally it is also helpful to attach either some weight or something that provides drag to the wire out on the water before actually using the setup and let out most of the wire (out deep) and then reel it back in under tension which should "nest" it properly on the spool. It is also important to make sure your level wind mechanism is centered on the spool before adding the wire so that it comes on the spool straight and not on an angle.

post-145411-0-03493800-1439037990_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

I tie direct and tape it to stop the creep. one of my reels has a pin the other does not. I do this because I do not like the extra knot thought a fish should never get down that far, but you never know.

You can easily fit 100 ft of braid and 1000 ft of wire on a CV30D. We do this. It helps a little.

But do what Sk8man says by letting out the line. We normally clip on an open dipsey and reel it back in. That will make a big difference when you catch a big fish.

I would say maybe the first 10ft of wire on Both my rods is starting to get some spiral shaped memory in it. Should I just cut off the affected wire and keep using the other 980ft of it? The rest of the wire looks good

Cut off the ten feet of twisted wire. I do this every year or two. I only am able to fish the big lake twelve days a year so sometimes I can get two years before trimming.

when spooling new I also let it all out as stated above on the first trip, i just put a lead ball on for the extra tension and reel it all back on the spool. This is done so the wire will not roll over onto itself and cause issues when reeling a fish in. doing something like this or as noted above is a must on your first trip otherwise do not be upset with anyone but yourself if you loose that fish of a lifetime of a $10,000 fish in the case of the LOC.

I know the little curley cues can be a bit unsightly and maybe even cause concern for us OCD types but they are really only a true problem if they develop an actual kink and then it is essential to cut the wire. It is also true with any fraying of the wire whatsoever. The over riding thing to remember with stranded wire is to keep tension on it at all times whether in the water or not.

Edited by Sk8man

Thanks for all of the replies. I'm going to put 100' of mono and then the wire and then use the dipsey as resistance to seat the wire good. I will be going up to Lake Ontario out of the Little Salmon River the last week of this month. Hope to hear some of you out there! My boat name is Double Tap and we'll be staying at the lighthouse marina and will have beer on ice the entire week if any wants to stop by!

Andy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

With wire line being cut, does this affect your calibration or do you need not worry about true calibration with wire line. New to the wire game and need to know what type wire line would work in walleye country as well as big lake salmon, also, where is a good online source to get it ? 
Thanks, Mike

Edited by fishin2

One of my wire rods is in need of new line.  When I bought the rods(Shimano Talora with CV 30 D) they were already spooled with 30# Malin.  I just got 1000 feet of new Malin 30# 7 strand line and was wondering if I need backing or will the entire spool will fit on the Okuma CV30D reel?  Also, when I go to put the line on does it need to be put on super tight like the braids?

Thanks,

Andy

When spooling wire I give the spool a wrap with electrical tape. I then attach 30# mono with an arbor knot and spool on 250 ft. (Okuma 30 series will require some "backing" to ensure the spool is full and the counter is correct). i then attach wire to mono using an albright knot and spool on 1000 ft of wire making sure i spool on as tight as possible by hand. On the business end the swivel is attached using a simple overhand knot. Before i use this newly spooled reel i attach a tripped diver and let out almost all of the wire and wind it all back on the reel under tension. Now its ready to be fished. 

With wire line being cut, does this affect your calibration or do you need not worry about true calibration with wire line. New to the wire game and need to know what type wire line would work in walleye country as well as big lake salmon, also, where is a good online source to get it ? 

Thanks, Mike

You want to make sure that when you start with a fresh reel of wire that the spool is full. Over time, cutting back and retying, shorten the amount on the spool and i respool once im below 700' or so. http://www.bloodruntackle.com/