penn reels for wire

I'm wanting to set up 2 rods with wire for dipsys, on a budget so thought maybe a couple used/ebay penn reels. Presently using #309s on my rods but don't think they'll hold enough wire, on this site 1000 feet plus backer is suggested. So many models on ebay and hard to find specs. anybody got suggestions on which models to look for keeping budget in mind?. Thanks to so many who have helped me on this site. Also: is it possible to modify plain dipsy rods (tips) to accommodate wire?

Penn 309 will hold more then enough wire and backer. 1000 ft of .015 wire fills a diawa 47lc just right and a 309 has much more capacity then the 47lc. Regular dipseys rod will work fine just change the tip to a twilli tip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by jerryriggin

I run Cabelas DepthMaster 30's for my wire dipsey reels. Not the best you can buy but they hold up ok, fit 1000' easily and a lot of times they're on sale for around $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys, very helpful. Next question is what kind of wire. I found several different kinds of woven wire, some I couldn't tell if solid or woven, and what lb rating? I was thinking 40lb?

Simplest way to a full reel. Start with 2 of the same reels put wire first then mono till full then crank mono and wire on to the empty reel. Take a note of where the mono ends and wire begins on the second reel. Also doing it this way u put the wire on under drag so it is nice and tight and ready to fish when u get to the lake.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by jerryriggin