Prospects for a good king fall run

Last year I went up to Olcott and was very disappointed in the numbers. I looked on here and everyone had a theory. The ones that stood out said the king bite during the summer months was way off so of course the fall run would be affected as well. How are the "numbers" this summer out deep? I am not asking for a comparison of 20 years ago but more of a comparison in the last 5 or 6. I will be bringing a newbie with me this fall so I would like to get him on a king. Thanks!

I have fished the lake and rivers for 25 years and all I can say (imo) this year seems to be an average or little below average. Excluding last year, cuz that was much below in both lake and river. 3-4 years ago were excellent years both on the lake and the runs in the salmon river..Again,this is just my observation but it seems the rate of return is related to the consistency and quantity of the catch in the summer months.

More numbers than last year.  Lots of Kings were hiding/spread out offshore over deep water during the June/July "every-day-wind-blew-from-the-East" time lakewide except for the Rochester area.  East winds often help Rochester anglers as the warmer Genny water stays in the bowl longer attracting fish. There are lots of uncaught fish swimming around out there as a result.  Due to two tough winters there will not be as many 30 lbers swimming around.  If last year is an indicator of what the run will be like (weather has been similar), the Canadian rivers will probably have another strong run of fish and our runs will be "off" a little.  Just my feeling.

I have been fishing the lake and the river most of my life. Just cant get enough of it but I think that 4 year ago was the major flood in the river that were a direct impact on the natural Spawned salmon. When people are catching kings in the parking lot it only stands to reason that there were shot of non fertilized eggs or were spawning on the banks and when the water receded. Just my opinion for what its worth

Only time will tell. Fish still seem pretty silver but are getting ready to stage these next couple of weeks will tell what will run the river. im just hoping a decent amount will run not to make anglers happy but for a healthy amount of wild and hatchery egg collection. But then again I can't wait to here those first reports of fish coming in. Ill definitely be taking some sick days lol.

this is my sophomore season on the lake but have been a veteran of 35 years fishing the Ontario tribs. fall, winter and spring.

pretty much gave up the fly rods and waders and took the plunge into being a Great Lakes boat troller  in lieu of the ever increasing nonsense on the banks..

With that said, it has been a tough struggle for us out in the open water.. Obviously as the fish migrate towards the tribs the fishing should become "easier" due to the concentration.  We need to figure out the summer fishing...

I really cant give an honest perspective as to how the salmon (I assume ) will progress or has been on the lake for the several past years but my gut feeling from years of walking the banks and being on the open water last season has me thinking it's somewhat on schedule towards another tough migration season.

We have fished the Lake EVERY sat & sunday since june 16th and will continue until sept 13th. With the rate/lack of, our success, we realize it's not always about the fishing.. EVERY single weekend we stay up there on the boat is an awesome adventure and the weather has been nothing short of fantastic.. When the fish don't cooperate we make the best of times by swimming, visiting local functions , fairs and farm stands.. At this point the fishing for us is completely secondary .. Our time will come I'm sure, we wont give up or be discouraged as we know there is always a chance.. We will be back again next June for another exciting adventure and hopefully we can figure this summer fishing pattern out ..

Rich:

I haven't been out as much this year as last, but my feeling mirrors Gill-T's...Rochester has been good when other places aren't and the bite has been somewhat inconsistent, but not because there aren't fish around...somewhere.

We got lucky in that the Sandy Creek Shootout ended up being one of the better bites of the year and lots of boats did well. It's just that they're there one day, gone the next. I feel like the "pattern" that we've had the past ten years has been missing these past two. It used to be that the last half of July and early August were money at Sandy, then the fish disappeared, probably continuing toward the SR. I'm not sure what to think now. It's frustrating not being out as much as I'd like. Makes it tough to stay on top of changing conditions. But I think that the run will be better this year than last.