how to replace side storage gunnels

bandrus1

I used Starboard on my side storage gunnels and they came out great! Starboard is easy to work with and will last several lifetimes. A few pictures with your original post will be of immense help to readers who may have other ideas.

post-147154-0-23532400-1439854517_thumb.jpgI varnished plywood, glued packing foam on and wrapped with marine vinyl from cabelas back in 1999. It has held up well with the exception of where downrigger cables have gouged it a bit in the back. I was fortunate to have my mom sew them with My heavy duty sewing machine. Mine are only on the sides though.

Last summer I replaced the gunnels on a smaller Sea Nymph. I tore all the old material out....then rewired my boat (a good time to do it). I strengthened the gunnel brackets with spray foam and treated 2x4 pieces. I then cut full length 2x8 boards to the shape of the gunnels. The boards were treated. I glued the boards in place with monster glue and also screwed them at the bracket locations. I then glued (carpet glue) indoor/outdoor carpet - the kind you use for carpet runners - to the gunnels. I use a lot of rod holders, rod trees, and downriggers on my boat, so I wanted something rock solid. I can pretty much hang from a rod holder now and the gunnel won't move. The new gunnels are obviously thicker now than factory....but they still look like factory with the new carpet. I will try to locate some pics of the restoration. My side gunnels are factory aluminum and it is the top boards that I replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by LakerTaker