Moor Sub-troll Help Needed

tj13825

I just picked up a used unit from a guy that bought a boat that had it on it but doesn't plan on using the boat for trolling. In any case he couldn't tell me if it worked properly other than the previous owner said it works.

So I figured I would try to bench test it before stripping the DR cable off mounting and wiring etc...

I have what I believe to be the entire set up. I have the head unit and mount, power cable with inline fuse, RCA cable ~ 25', short spring style antenna cable, coated DR cable (length unknown) attached to a probe. Again the coated DR cable is just laying in a pile on the work bench with one end attached to the probe and the other end threaded through the antenna.

I have supplied power to the head unit and the back light illuminates and the depth decimal is present.

I lowered the probe into a 5 gallon bucket of water to "test" the temp and this did not yield a value. After ohming the RCA cable it appears to be ok, performed the same test with the antenna again good. I read that the unit requires the ground to be in contact with the water and that another member had suggested dropping a ground wire into the bucket so I added this as well no change. I tested the voltage of the "new" 9v battery and it is only 7.6v so this maybe my problem will have to buy some new batteries tomorrow.

Can I bench test this unit as described not installed on a DR and expect it to work?

There is some rubber insulation on the cable crimp and loop attached to the probe. I am not sure how much should be there any pictures of this would be helpful.

Looking forward to adding this to my setup soon.

Thanks

Terry

I believe you need to add a ground wire to your bucket of water from your power supply, hook one end to battery - and strip a little insulation off other end & drop in bucket, I know I had to add an extra water ground to my boat to get any reception.

Bob

Make sure the coated rigger cable is stripped off and making good metal to metal connection with the probe tab. Also spin the paddle wheel on the probe and it should "wake up" the probe. They are designed to shut off after a period of time with no movement to help save battery life you will need a new battery as well a low battery will affect readings

'Bout Time

Mike

Edited by bout time

Ok so I installed a new 9V (tested good at 9.6v) and still nothing on the head unit other than the back light and a decimal point.

Will the unit work if it is not spooled onto a DR?

I ran a ground wire from the head unit/Analog dial to water.

Is a ground wire required from the antenna to water?

I have had to splice in a new 9v battery clip in my probe a couple years ago. The wires on the old one had corroded and were not connected to the battery clip any more. Did you try spinning the wheel to wake the unit up or to see if that made the needle move? I don't know for sure if you have to use a only one of the connection points on the probe and not the other, try connecting your rigger cable to the other side of the probe. 

I dont have any sort of ground wire to water... just the +/- from the battery and mine works. 

Do you know anyone else who has a unit that you can borrow their probe or head unit?

Edited by EKoselny

I checked the board and I am getting the 9v at the board where the +/- connect so I know the battery connection is at least working, there was tape wrapped around the old battery and connector to help keep them connected.

I did try spinning the wheel and I am getting nothing, it is still sleeping.

I dont have anything connected below the probe at this time ball etc.. I will try connecting something to the other connector to see if that helps.

Unfortunately this is my first year on I Bay with a boat, I moved here last year from Caledonia and fished conesus not a lot of need for D/R and speed/temp units down there.

Ok so here is the photo, again this is exactly how I received it and have not tried to clean it or put any new liquid tape on it yet.

Thanks for your help and ideas.

Anyone in I-Bay that can would be willing to test my probe on their set up?

Thanks

Terry

post-158668-0-57956200-1439566956_thumb.jpg

I know it was mentioned earlier and it may sound like a stupid question but is the coated cable stripped on the thimble that is attached to the probe?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Tj,

This is what you need to do:

1.) new battery in probe

2.) Get some new coated cable, freshly stripped and terminated properly

3.) Install antenna with the new cable through the pick-up. You can check continuity easily on your antenna with a voltmeter from the metal pickup to the RCA end. If there's continuity, it's working fine.

4.) buy a cheap RCA cable (they can be found for less than $10)

5.) Bypass your old RCA cable by using the new one you bought to see if your RCA cable from the antenna to the head unit is bad. Mine recently was (wire had broke off inside the molded plastic sleeve) and now it works great

6.) Keep your cellphone away form the head - it oftens screws up the head unit readings

If all of these things dont' fix it, I'd start with replacing the probe first as it sounds like there was already some corrosion and someone's attempt to fix the 9v connector with electrical tape. If that doesn't fix it, then call Moor to look at the head unit.

Good luck,

Chris

Edited by momay4000