Newbie to fishing Chautaugua Lake

And I have yet to catch a fish this year so far. I have only Caught a hand full of tigers out of the niagara river around 30" over my 2 previous years

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by delilah

That's fine. At least you have the patience and persistence it takes to be a good muskie fisherman. There really is alot to learn though, man. Way more than the fraction of information anybody is going to share with you on a public website. Get a guide, join a club, or even go to that tournament on Waneta coming up and meet some muskie fisherman, make some friends, ask some questions. A club tournament is a good place to meet people and learn how fish are being caught. Do all those things multiple times. Just don't expect things to happen super fast and have somebody spill everything to you at once. It will take some time, but doing the things I recommended will definitely cut down the learning curve for you, and help you catch some muskies. Then someday you can pass on what you've learned to somebody new trying to catch some.

Edited by Ivan

I have fished waneta 5 or 6 times over the past 3 years casting but have never caught anything or had a fallow that I could see. My buddy's dad has a house on lamoka.

delilah,

Hey man, it sounds like you are doing everything that you can to put yourself in a situation that will no only get you into fish, but also get them back into the water as efficiently and safely as possible.  Rock it out man.  Don't let too many voices/opinions create too much fear.  It is only fishing after all.  You seem to have all the gear to get everything taken care of once a fish is in your net.

Don't get me wrong, there is a TON of great advice and info to be had here and other sites.  As a paraphrase from a psychologist once said:  analysis to paraysis.  Just get out there and do what you can and make sure you have fun.  We can't ask for more than that, right?

As for me, I'm still somewhat of a "newbie".  Take my words for what they are worth.  Don't forget to have fun out there.

Jay

delilah,

Hey man, it sounds like you are doing everything that you can to put yourself in a situation that will no only get you into fish, but also get them back into the water as efficiently and safely as possible.  Rock it out man.  Don't let too many voices/opinions create too much fear.  It is only fishing after all.  You seem to have all the gear to get everything taken care of once a fish is in your net.

Don't get me wrong, there is a TON of great advice and info to be had here and other sites.  As a paraphrase from a psychologist once said:  analysis to paraysis.  Just get out there and do what you can and make sure you have fun.  We can't ask for more than that, right?

As for me, I'm still somewhat of a "newbie".  Take my words for what they are worth.  Don't forget to have fun out there.

Jay

delilah,

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

I have been Casting for Muskie for 3 years so I didn't just jump right into this year. I have done months on top of months of research so proper release and equipment that's just my buddy's Trolling temporary trolling gear. I have 80# power pro with steel and Fluorocarbon leaders on my casting rod. Even though I don't get out there much I'm always researching to know how to do things.

Good to know Delilah! No one means any offense just cutting right to the chase and making sure you know the proper handling procedures! It definitely sounds like a broken record but a lot of us have seen the results of mishandling of accidental catches/unprepared catches and are a bit on edge...though we all had to learn at some point! To be honest when I was first learning (just speaking in general I know you have been doing it for a few years) I would have been better off with someone like Ivan flat out telling me to hire a guide and learn how to fish right off the bat haha