Which copper 20,30 or 45#?

I find virtually no difference either in depth performance or strength when it comes to 32 over 45 lb. As yet the 32 lb has survived vicious strikes from kings and drag settings are the same on both setups. When it comes to capacity on a particular reel, it will spool on 200 feet more copper in 32 lb than 45 lb. on any given reel with the same backing used.

Some folks like to use an Albright knot for connection to leader or backing and 32 wins again with a much smaller finished knot for passing guides. I, on the other hand, do not use knot connection on the copper and use the hollow core smooth transition connection with both 32 and 45 lb copper and have had no failures on either test.

I do like the 32lb as a result.

Mark

I'm with Mark on the 32 lb although I use both (2 rigs of each). The thing to remember with copper though as with most wire in general is that the thinner you go diameter wise the more potential there is for kinking and although it is less frequent with braided copper over single strand it does happen and especially when "bird nests" occur. Copper wire also stiffens up as the water temperatures decrease significantly and when kinking occurs then it can be more difficult to "correct" without cutting and the stiffer wire doesn't always seat as well on the spool either (e.g. late Fall/early winter - early Spring.