whats best speed on the probe for kings?

Sorry but as a new guy I do not understand what you mean by a loop.  I have always used a snap swivel to the swivel that came with the spin doctor and put a snap or snap swivel on the fly and attached it to the swivel at the rear,  I have always used the holes that came with the spin doctor.  I have never had much luck with spin doctors.  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Steeleman

The loop they are talking about is not an integral part of the spin doctor nor any attaching device. They are talking about the size of the spin in the water it has with reference to its action.

Could be a lot of reasons for not having luck on spin doctors. There are a few basics to be done, and measurement of leader, but in general if it's in the water and you are going the right speed with a fly or meat head on it, you should see action if the fish are turned on to it. They will come from a long way off to find that rig due to its noise and flash. May not commit to a strike but will see other presentations and look at those too.

Depends which probe u have. Depth raider 1.8-2.2 mph fish hawk 2.4-2.7. This is for flasher Flys and meat cashed alot of checks running these speeds

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

why would you put the type of probe in the equation......???? the speed is the question. If your probe isn't calibrated than fix it. Speed is MPH period.

As far as whats working...years have shown anything from 2.0 mph up to 3.0 mph can productive, get your wire dipseys out and make sweeping turns now and again. When your outside gets slammed there in the mood for speed, if the inside goes than the fish are being lazy and don't want to chase.

Something I've always expressed to people on my boat is this.... a Chinook Salmon cruises the lake @ 5-15 mph so, your kidding yourself if you think your going too fast at 3 mph. Think about how fast they can rip off 300'-500' of line off your reel ???

Every day is different you just have to experiment till you find their "mood" 

why would you put the type of probe in the equation......???? the speed is the question. If your probe isn't calibrated than fix it. Speed is MPH period.

As far as whats working...years have shown anything from 2.0 mph up to 3.0 mph can productive, get your wire dipseys out and make sweeping turns now and again. When your outside gets slammed there in the mood for speed, if the inside goes than the fish are being lazy and don't want to chase.

Something I've always expressed to people on my boat is this.... a Chinook Salmon cruises the lake @ 5-15 mph so, your kidding yourself if you think your going too fast at 3 mph. Think about how fast they can rip off 300'-500' of line off your reel ???

Every day is different you just have to experiment till you find their "mood"

You do know the older depth raiders had no calibration right? The fish hawk is calibrated.

The hawks, subtroll and raider all read differently. It's been proven, even if calibrated. Proven. As everybody fishes differently, different boats, electronics, rods, lures,speed..etc..

I have run a hawk side by side with a subtroll. The speeds do vary as stated above.

You say mph is mph. Are you referring to ball mph? SOG mph? Or surface speed mph?

Describing what unit he's using for depth makes a difference, as does the said units actual depth versus what the rigger says...

Your statement about mph meaning mph has so many variables..

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depends which probe u have. Depth raider 1.8-2.2 mph fish hawk 2.4-2.7. This is for flasher Flys and meat cashed alot of checks running these speeds

Yup, and 2.4 - 2.7 mph on the smart troll.  I would say fish hawk is 2.5 to 2.8, seems to underestimate the speed a little.

Lund - we are all aiming for 2.2 to 2.6 mph ACTUAL down speed, but I agree with what Jerry is saying. Each manufacturer is known to CALIBRATE there units differently, and so 2.5 mph ACTUAL is closer to 2.2 mph on the subtroll, and 2.7 mph on the FishHawk.

Yes, you can calibrate the FishHawk, but tell me how you would go about doing that? It isn't as easy as you may think.

Edited by TyeeTanic

Gentleman we reference speed it's got to be at the ball. There have been days when you couldn't move in an west direction (SOG) without almost getting on plane and if you turned east you'd move 2.0 mph almost in neutral. The whole reason we all rely on speed probes @ the ball. If your going to call 1.5 mph............. 2.2 than I don't care. The body of my post was to Fluctuate your lure speeds with changes in direction and find what they want, thats all.

Gentleman we reference speed it's got to be at the ball. There have been days when you couldn't move in an west direction (SOG) without almost getting on plane and if you turned east you'd move 2.0 mph almost in neutral. The whole reason we all rely on speed probes @ the ball. If your going to call 1.5 mph............. 2.2 than I don't care. The body of my post was to Fluctuate your lure speeds with changes in direction and find what they want, thats all.

Yes, down speed = at the ball.  And yes, find out what they want, and then maintain that speed in all directions.  We are in full agreement. Just for the new user, they need to be aware that 2.2 mph on the subtroll is not 2.2 mph on the fishhawk or Smart Troll.

Pay attention to your electronics! When you hit a fish, keep a mental note of the speed your unit (I dont care what brand it is).  Like Steve stated, change speeds.  Let the fish tell you what they want. The fish will change moods hourly and things will change as the day progresses.  If the bite dies, slower speeds can make a difference some days. Lets not start a debate about what unit is what.  That is not what this thread is about. 

I'm starting to question my fish hawk. When I'm going about 1.75 on the subtroll going east, my fh is about 2.3. Sounds good, BUT when I go west at 1.75 my fh is about 1.8. It makes no sense to me, other than I'm really starting to like the solid consistency of my subtroll. Any ideas on this?

silverfoxcharters.net

That is definitely weird. You think the difference (0.5 mph) would be the same. Batteries up to scratch on the FH?

Do you have each on their own rigger at the same time/same depth?  How do you measure depth of the probe?  Assuming you are averaging out turns and speed?

Are they both on corner riggers? If the wind is pushing the boat, the boat will slip and the riggers could be like divers.  The one side will be slower than the other because the boat is kind of turning constantly. 

Edited by GAMBLER