whats best speed on the probe for kings?

thanks all of you for the help let me explain my reason I know I have to try different things to find what they like all wante was your favorite speed to start at probe cause I fish out there every ear changing surface speeds till I find sweet spot well sometimes that takes hours this year I purchased a X4 D to try cut down on that so I was just looking for your favorite star tpoint I realize it would create lots sarcasm but that's ok so thank you all for your help/time

Agree with many above, different brands have a difference in mph. I run my depthraider at 2.0-2.2mph.

Salmon may swim at 5+mph, but very few lures are designed to go that fast. Many lose their action at 3mph.

Edited by Ruff Rider

• 4 weeks later...

No Jerry I was not aware of that but .....still stick to my statement MPH is MPH.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

no, it is completely relative and you need to figure out what the numbers are on the unit you are running.  The actual speed is very likely not what any of them are displaying, but the number itself is irrelevant as long as you can repeat the number that is catching fish.

If you are getting speed data from someone with a FH and you run a Moor or DR, you will be screaming way too fast if you try to match their reported speed.

Tim

Tim makes a real good point here. Your speed is relative to the device on your boat and may or may not be directly comparable to the same device for a number of reasons on other boats with the same device.and it applies to both surface and down speed as well. For example, in the old days before we had the newer speed/temp devices we used a thing that you clamped to the gunwale of the boat and it had a gauge with different colored bands across it similar to a dial. the "needle" on it was attached to a wire a few ft long with a weight on it. You placed the weight in the water at the side of the boat and when you sped up it would make the needle go back and forth to different colors depending on how fast you went. You could make a little finer increments or gradations to the color bands by using either a black grease pencil or small thin colored piece of tape indicating either where a lure you tested at the side ran best or where you had a hit or caught a fish and then keep returning to that spot. The point is that it was a relative measure and would mean very little when referring to another boat even if it was traveling next to you using the same type device because of different shaped hulls, weight distribution in the boats, possibly the exact location of the device etc. The precise numbers on modern temp and speed devices depends on accurate calibration and these are not always on the mark either especially the paddle wheel types and for the reasons already mentioned may vary significantly from boat to boat or may even depend on weight distribution in a given boat. To answer the original question there is no one best speed for kings....the best speed for them is whatever you are catching them at with whatever you are using at the time on your particular boat under those same conditions using that same device to measure :)

Edited by Sk8man

you guys are a TOTAL wealth of knowledge far beyond my "blue collar" education !!!!!! The question was simple....HOW FAST. should we start to think about earths rotational pull in relation to the surface as apposed to at 100' ???  Speed up or slow down sooner or later you'll get hits, try and remember, were you going fast or slow. 

Edited by Lund SSS

you guys are a TOTAL wealth of knowledge far beyond my "blue collar" education !!!!!! The question was simple....HOW FAST. should we start to think about earths rotational pull in relation to the surface as apposed to at 100' ??? Speed up or slow down sooner or later you'll get hits, try and remember, were you going fast or slow.

Lol.

silverfoxcharters.net

Steve  I was trying to explain to folks who may be new to this stuff (not the guys who have been doing it forever) that you can't just ask someone on another boat what speed they were catching them at and match up that number on your boat and think you will be exactly matching what they are doing. I didn't mean to be "long winded" or make anything 'complicated".

Les your post are never "long winded" or boring..... Insightful , detailed, in-depth, informational, and most of the time precise. When people turn to others for info sometime the questions need to be long winded AND complicated.

I always enjoy hearing what you have to say