Is there anything happening in Henderson in the trench?

Marked some bait. Found some temp around 100ft. Trolled in circles for a bit and nobody was home. Caught a whitefish I believe. I certainly had a google moment though, wasn't even sure what I caught... Let alone if I could keep it/ eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Temp is really deep and the fish you mark are trapped on the bottom and tight lipped... the temp in the trench needs to raise 20-30' higher like it usually is this time of year and I believe we'll all see more active fish and screaming drags.

I could not bring myself to target lakers... you can only catch so many - gets boring real fast unless you have some newbies you're taking out and they just want to catch fish.

You'll get those whitefish a lot... I've caught 15+ this year... always down deep and on Mag spoons.  pretty funny.  Problem is you'll drag em for miles not knowing, which isn't helping you catch salmon.

Edited by FleetTracker

From a longer term standpoint the presence of whitefish may be a healthy sign. They might provide a better balanced diet for the salmon if get to good numbers maybe helping to reduce  the thiamine problem with the mainly alewife diet....just a thought....

Edited by Sk8man

I was wondering myself if the Kings feed on them... they're certainly in the same water column - just never found any in the stomachs before.  Some of the ones I've caught have been very big though which made me re-think a bit.  The size of most walleye caught in say Oneida.

Yes they used to be commercially harvested leading to their decline many years ago. I'm sure salmon would eat the smaller/younger ones as would lakers etc. They are considered real good table food in Canada and Alaska as well.

Edited by Sk8man

I was out in the Trench yesterday morning.. Saw a lot of boats out there for a Wednesday morning.. I also saw a lot of Saiff Charter boats.. I was really excited that I was going to catch a King.. Then the lake got angry.. The little bit of rain didn't bother me but the swells were making hard to control my speed.. Most of the boats left.. So I headed in Skunked...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United