How do you run your copper?

We recently added a copper line to our arsenal, first time using it we flatlined straight out the back and between the currents and our (wide) turns, we ended up with a jumbled mess with our dipsys...

How do you run your copper lines? One on each side off big planer boards? What release do you use or how to attach to planer line (since a flasher would have some drag). I imagine you're attaching the backing (dacron?) to the release? Are small online boards preferred?

Any advice on running copper is greatly appreciated.

Not sure how you are getting tangled with dipsy on a chute copper. Generally wouldn't happen except for the added force of a fish on one or the other carrying the lines together.

I run dipsy on 1 to 2.5 and have never gotten one to get to the middle of the spread. Always when you pick up your sets start with the copper first before any thing else and get it out of the way. Setting up, most often if you let your dipsey out first you should never have a problem. Slight problem if there is current on redeployment of the dipsy with the copper runnning. Try to move the copper around and away from your dipsy on deployment until it is deeper and more settled going out with some drag. Most of all do not turn the boat while letting a dipsy out with copper in the chute. Keep the dipsy going out at a crawl against the drag. If you let it out quickly, it will spiral down and come inside to catch a copper chute rod, not to mention tangle your dipsey up.

You need to have good boat control if you run it down the chute. Sharp turns can put it into a tight run dipsey (especially with the wicked currents the last few weeks). Let your divers out slow with the boat going straight if the copper is already out. Big flashers can cause problems. We had a copper that was out on a board get into a dipsey last weekend. Both had 11 in slashers. I think it happened when the diver went back out and my buddy was driving. I usually always run my coppers out on big boards with Scotty releases.

I run my coppers on walleye boards. A 300 and a 400, one on each side. The only way I can see getting into your dipsy's with a copper is if you let it out too fast on the turn. Only let the coppers out when going strait, and make sure your other presentations are strait behind when you let it out.

Good luck.

Otter boats or tx44 boards, let it out SLOW!!!! No sharp turns with long coppers deployed, with dipseys. Good Luck

Capt Rich

NY Guide Service

Lake Ontario Charters

Salmon River Drift Boat trips

Waterfowl Hunting.

All good advice. If we just want one copper, we run it down the chute with Mag Dipsys off either side. We've also run double divers with copper without any issues. As is the case with the copper, letting the diver out slowly will also help to avoid tangles. Let out 20 feet of wire, then flip the drag on and loosen it so that the diver pulls out slowly on its own. We've seen divers tangle rigger lines when they're let out too fast! The Mag divers are particularly susceptible to this. I know that the dreaded copper/wire tangle sucks, but it's avoidable by slowing down.

When a fish hits, you've got to figure out which side of the copper they're on, but this is generally easy and it's more an issue with the rigger rods than the divers.

Multiple coppers go onto the TX44 Church boards or the Otter boats. Make sure they're WAY out there and don't run your divers on a three setting. Keeping it to a single copper per side is safe. Oh, and tying a short length of 80 lb mono between your backing and copper will give you something to clip your release onto. Use a slim profile knot; there's lots of information on here regarding this setup.

And tangles happen. We get a mess every couple of years...it's part of the game. Not much you can do when a king rips across the spread at full speed! Maybe you just got lucky, were doing everything right, but your time came early. Back on the horse!

Edited by Gator

We have big boards and a mast but don't use very often since they are a pain to deploy. Should we just get better using these or are the small online boards better and easier?

Also, our releases don't hold heavy drag gear (e.g. spin doctor), for those using big boards what is your preferred release? If we stick with the big boards, can add a rubber band to hold the line I suppose

Lots of good info here. Nothing to really add except that for the releases when running off my otter boats.  I run blacks (same as on downriggers)  and they are the best release I've ever used for coppers. 

Rod,

Do you just hook the clip meant for the rigger ball to the planer line so its hanging upside down with the release arm facing rearward and then hook up the backing?  Sounds like a good idea, I love those releases on my riggers.

Anouther thing you can do is run your copper off of a elevated rod holder. That will also help get your copper back farther before it enters the water

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Anouther thing you can do is run your copper off of a elevated rod holder. That will also help get your copper back farther before it enters the water

Yes, I do that too! Off the rod rack on the t top. Only thing is ya gotta be tall and be able to horse that rod out of the holder with an angry king yanking on it! lol

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Rod,

Do you just hook the clip meant for the rigger ball to the planer line so its hanging upside down with the release arm facing rearward and then hook up the backing?  Sounds like a good idea, I love those releases on my riggers.

Here's how I use the blacks releases Dennis.  I cropped the photo to give you a close up.  I have 8 on each side of the boat.  They are the best IMO because it's just so easy to adjust the tension running different lengths of  copper, core, etc. Love them !!

I use 250 lb Power Pro and blacks outrigger releases.  You can get cheaper releases similar to blacks on Ebay also that have a metal bar with loops at each end. They work too, you just bend the ends sideways.

planer%20releases_zpsn6nruadm.jpg

planer%20releases%201_zpsxqe1tjnv.jpg

planer%20releases%202_zpsbgueykcg.jpg

Edited by Fishtails
  • Like 1

Cool...Rod you're the only guy besides me that I've seen who still has some of the old style Black releases (white ones) :lol:

No kidding.....I have a couple from the seventies that are exactly like that and white and also the black ones but have never seen the grey colored ones. The two white ones with the piece of coat hanger inserts were used on my outriggers before they came out with the outrigger model :lol: They are great kite releases too by the way.

post-145411-0-61168300-1439676315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Incase you want to run a long copper but at a shorter distance you can tie on a D loop of waxed dental floss and hook the blacks release on that. I do that with the outriggers and it works great!

post-140268-14398469970411_thumb.jpg

post-140268-14398470356025_thumb.jpg

Nice easy bend on the copper with two holding points on it, and it can be color coded with permanent marker for distance. No problem through the guides or on the reel.

post-140268-1439847185317_thumb.jpg

D loop. I also tie on the outside 4 or 5 half hitches and go to the inside of the loop and do the same. Trim of the tag ends. Good to go and won't slip.

Mark

We have big boards and a mast but don't use very often since they are a pain to deploy. Should we just get better using these or are the small online boards better and easier?

Also, our releases don't hold heavy drag gear (e.g. spin doctor), for those using big boards what is your preferred release? If we stick with the big boards, can add a rubber band to hold the line I suppose

I have fished both, and have a mast on my bow, but have found that with a smaller boat like mine, that the TX44 boards work much better, and I don't have to worry about that irritating rope swinging around and catching my other rods, etc., in higher winds.  The big boards are fine when it is calm, but I still hate the rope off the reels on my sized boat off the bow.  Pain the ass, really.  I have just started using the TX44's this year, but seem to like them just fine.  It took some time getting used to having to take the line off the board, and then fight the fish, but nothing huge to get used to. So, i usually run 200 and 300 off the boards, and longer coppers, like 400-500 right down the chute.   Good luck to you! :yes:  :yes:  :)

Edited by John Kelley