Copper 300 400 500

Could somebody tell me how deep 300 copper will get with a flasher fly of some sort 400 and 500 copper. I read different things so just trying to clear it up for myself. Thanks to all who give great information.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

No perfect science to any copper wire reaching a "specific" depth. Rule of thumb is about 20 feet down at 100 feet out average, with a flasher fly rig. All variables are going to influence that with speed, current, turns, and lb test of copper. Guess 60 for 300 it's gonna be somewhere between 57 and 66

Guess 80 for a 400 it's gonna be 77 to 86.

A 500 around 100 feet give or take about 8% SWAG estimate. Etc. Etc.

The flasher can also be a small spin doctor or an 11 inch paddle and the depth it achieves is different.

The more resistance due to speed or surface exposure of the attractor against the flow of water over it, the higher it would ride on the column of water you are in at the time. Current plays with it too. That's why it is a guess. 20 feet every 100 feet out give or take about 8%..but that sounds too scientific even for me, so I say just 20 feet every 100 feet for 30 to 45 lb copper. If it catches fish, keep using it in the same water at the same speed...60 lb. is a different kind of thing.

Mark

Edited by skipper19
  • Like 1

Run anything you want off copper wire. You can put it on boards or down the chute, or off outriggers, or 100 foot copper with dive bombs or 100 foot copper stacked on a downrigger cable. It's versitile and adds a longer presentation as a depth control device all on it's own.

thanks for the info!!! 1 more question from me.......I assume if putting on a board, you need to be on backing for attaching release?? or will the release not "kink" the wire??? thanks again!!!

Yup, what Les said! I have experimented with rubber band on copper with releases, you can do it, but what I have found is the hook up ratio goes down due to stretching before breaking the band or releasing the clip...that's on outriggers.

I am now going to try waxed dental floss tied on the copper in a D loop (like on a bow string) for placing in the release and give me visible footage markers. I'll let ya know how it works. My only concern is the fleas on the floss. Hoping waxed floss will help. The Floss will flatten to mostly nothing on the reel and should last for a while. Also can color it with permanent markers for reference on length.

Mark