Yesterday it was 71 on the surface. Thermocline was at 80 ft. 44 degrees down 95 feet. Not many fish or fisherman around.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

hello

can you help clear things up for me

on these posts when you folks talk about depths are you

stating actual depth of lure or the amount of wire out on the downrigger??

Is this example correct?

If I want to get down 100 feet on my downrigger im putting out approx. 130 feet of wire??

Im a newbie trying to catch my first salmon on a downrigger?

Thanks anyone for your help

E

The amount of rigger cable you need to reach a certain depth is affected by down currents , boat speed , amount of drag from lures you are using , weight of cannonball , on and on .  LOL  . 130 ft of cable is a good starting point to reach 100 ft fishing depth . Watch your rigger cables and try to estimate the angle from vertical . The bigger the angle ,the more cable you need out . I was out Thurs. and going with the waves I needed 140 ft of cable out to reach an actual ( speed n temp ) depth of 103 ft . using a finned 15 lb cannonball . 

It easier to  reach these depths with a 15 pound torpedo. Chinook I fully agree  with everything you mention about current,speed, blowback and angles. It really is just physics 101.

Edited by rolmops

I really need to invest in shark/torpedo weights . I have so many finned balls in 10 , 12 and 15 lb and some 13 lb pancakes ( tangles on tangles in a cross current , I retired those and they sit in my cellar collecting dust ) ,that I just can't justify the expense . Next year ,for sure .

I really need to invest in shark/torpedo weights . I have so many finned balls in 10 , 12 and 15 lb and some 13 lb pancakes ( tangles on tangles in a cross current , I retired those and they sit in my cellar collecting dust ) ,that I just can't justify the expense . Next year ,for sure .

All the weights that you mention are very popular in the southern states where people troll shallower. You can probably sell them on e-bay  at a very good price and send them by USPS priority mail where only size plays a role but  weight does not matter.

You probably have enough balls and pancakes to afford nice new 13 or 15 pound torpedoes ,which are made by several LOU members.

Edited by rolmops