How off the ball?

How far off the ball do most people run with flasher fly. Is there a general rule of thumb.?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i run mine 10 to 20 ft off the ball. Ill start with 10 ft and adjust from there till i get them to fire, I let the fish tell me what they want on that particular day.  

Edited by bondouley

How far back would you run a spoon?  Same distance?  For steelhead I usually keep it 15-25ft behind the ball.  What is a good starting point for Kings?

yes perfect starting to point.  Some days the fish are spooky and want a little longer leads.  Dont be afraid to experiment with leads if your not getting your riggers to fire

The usual setup has been mentioned above. Another question  to think about is when fishing deep such as 100ft and below for kings in particular do you want your setup to be perceived as one unit  coming through the water rather than something "disjointed" by having too much spacing between the weight and your lure and potentially "spooking" the fish by it appearing unnatural?  There are times when you may want to place the setup quite close to the weight so that it appears as a "unit" rather than discrete parts and the turbulence created by the weight and the flasher or spinney acts as "one" perhaps magnifying the effect of appearing as a school of fish or bait with something wounded trailing it. Often times lakers seem to like short leads behind the weight on cowbells as well and the action of the attractor and fly or spoon or bait will change behind an attractor also.....just another thing to think about :)

Edited by Sk8man

It's a shame on me for getting in to a rut of running short leads, but My fav. distance for Flasher/Flys has been 7ft. Sometimes I run them close like that to much without experimenting because it has been such a productive distance.This also allows for tighter turns and more action on the flasher. Tighter to the ball the quicker the action. Farther away, the more lazy the action.

I'll run 25 ft on the outside and 12 up the middle to start.

If the c/rigger fires more than the outside, I'll tighten the outside length, and/or change to the same combo on the center rod.

Anyone ever run all the same flasher/fly combos on all the riggers?

We have trying to simulate a feeding school of salmon, and have had good luck do so, not all the time, but it has worked very well in the past.