Completly new, I want to take my daughter out and catch a king!

Yea like Jigstick stated, what type of boat, do you have downriggers, what type of poles and reels are you using, what type of gear do you have. Dipsy divers, spin doctors flashers flies, spoons. Just to give you an idea what to ask how to use, or the guys will try to explain what you need or how to use it properly. Good luck this season, it's cool that your daughter is interested in fishing. I have twin daughters that love to fish off dads boat, but that won't last forever as they will turn 11 soon.

Catch a ride on a seasoned fisherman's boat and see the process first hand. You could charter and learn a lot that way too, and your daughter will most assuredly have an experience with the king salmon. Then apply what you learned on your boat. You can read a lot on here and it will help to a degree, but seeing how it's done is a faster learning curve. There is a lot you can overlook and it helps to see and participate in the actual fishing.

All the reading in the world will only get you just so far and it is much better for fine tuning your strategies and setups. As the guys have said the most effective (and cheapest and most effective in the long run) way is to go out with a  seasoned charter in the area you'll be fishing in and transfer the knowledge gained to your own boat and setups.

Edited by Sk8man

That does sound like a great idea, take a short charter and enjoy potentially catching some fish while learning.  Any recommendations on a charter?

My setup at the moment

19' 2015 Yamaha open bow

light fishing gear, 12 lbs test on my pole and my daughter has 8 lbs test. 

Obviously I am not opposed to getting different gear, just trying to research a bit before I buy the wrong stuff.

Also, I am reading that the salmon are currently in 100-200 feet of water at the moment, I am guessing no one is throwing anchor that deep.  Are you just stopping the boat and drifting or are most trolling?

Trolling, but like everyone has stated, take a charter and that will answer all of your questions and will make it easier and less frustrating than trying to start with info just from here. Once you have done that, it will be easier to understand the help you can get from this forum. Good luck and enjoy, my daughter is 25 and still loves to fish when she can get out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Save yourself a ton of frustration and grab a charter, ask questions, there is way to much to figure out on your own. After your trip you will be able to ask more pointed questions on our site!   

Grab a charter, as most have mentioned - then be prepared for a nasty addiction that will have you spooling and re-spooling your lines, tinkering and re-tinkering your set-up, and upgrading your gear on a weekly basis....

You will also likely collect in the ball park of 250 -1000 different lures, for which you only use approx. 20 of. - the others are just impossible to resist...

Trust me though, you won't want it any other way!

Don't be afraid to ask around for a ride on someone's boat as well. A charter will be great, but someone with a similar size boat as yours can be a huge help as well. If you charter, make sure beforehand that they are willing to teach you, let you rig, etc. Not all charters will let you do that and some may not be willing to teach at all.