Duck spreads

Lookin for some info on spreads from any finger lakes duck hunters. Just started last year and it was a blast, we got a few. We just put out mallards and some buffleheads off to the side.

Just looking on some input if anyone willing to share of what might be some other species to consider mixing in? We hunt at skaneateles.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

we like to set up a "ball" of divers (redheads, buffleheads and bluebills) close to the blind with two strings pointing at the ball (if you were looking at our blind from the lake). More often than not the divers will line right up with the string that points downwind and land between the strings near the ball (the setup should look kind of like a funnel). Don't be afraid to set ALOT of deeks (we do 15 dozen) as well as BIG deeks. The more visible you can make your spread from far out in the lake the better off you are. This is a pretty killer spread when we hunt Seneca.

Good Luck

Edited by WoodyBoater

Don't be afraid to throw some motion in your spread either. Quiver butts, mojos etc. On certain days the flicker of a spinning wing or the ripples in the water could make and break your hunt. Good luck and cut em down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

more decoys will definitely help, and if your buying new you can definately diversify but don't wory about that aspect too much. We set mostly redhead deeks (probably 90 percent). We also allways put a big white canvasback decoy on the outside end of each string and let me tell ya, you can see that thing from a long long ways.

Also second the motion recommendation. Real ducks are always moving and if your spread looks "dead" you'll have a real hard time getting birds to come in. A cheaper way to add some motion is to put some of your standard decoys on a jerk cord (I personally don't run a mojo because geese never come in when a mojo is running). We set some goose floaters off to the side of our spread and every once in a while well get a few to come in. A little elbow grease and a jerk cord goes a long ways on still days. And im not knocking the mojo, if you want to run one run it.

Another thing we do is bring black "flags" (like you use field hunting geese) into the blind and flag at ducks out in the middle of the lake. Every once in a while that will catch their attention and pull some into the spread.

Those are some pretty good tips. I just started hunting Seneca last year with a small spread of mallards off the dock. Was able to get a few birds. I never thought of flagging those birds that are just cruising the middle of the lack though, I will have to try that one just like flagging geese in the fields.  Also just picked up a wind duck (spinning wings) to add some flash.

It seems last year the blue bills and redheads didn't show up in numbers until after the season.  Seems it was pretty warm into waterfowl season and there was still lots of open water elsewhere, but after everything else froze up Seneca was packed with divers.

Anyone hunt out of Sampson State Park, wondering how they do the check in process and if its too much of a pain.

Usually any big open water has a lot of divers on it during late season. Conesus had a pretty solid population of redheads last year too. And yeah I would definitely recommend the flagging. You can define rely tell when the birds see the flag. They bank hard and at least swing by for a closer look

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

We hunt lake ontario and seneca,sometimes other fl.The wonderduck old style motion decoy works well on puddleducks,;We have 20 doxen divers but hardly ever have to put out over a hundred for good shooting.We also have a big water duck boat blind that is also a plus in getting a easy  hunting spot.The flag idea is good,use to flag geese all the time

• 3 weeks later...