Want to try a new location, which lake?

Hey guys,

I want to try a new lake this weekend. I have recently began trolling for trout (mainly lakers and landlocks) and am looking to expand my fishing territory. I would be coming from the Catskills Region. My plan is to do a day trip on Sunday which involves a 2-3 hour drive no matter how I slice it if I want to fish for coldwater species (NYC reservoirs are excellent but non-motorized boats means a lot of exercise trolling). I have never fished the finger lakes although familiar with them from my years as a student in CNY.

My options are as follows: Otsego Lake, Owasco Lake,  Cayuga or Seneca, listed in order of distance from home. I guess even Champlain is an option as it is 3 hours drive to Westport.

I would be fishing with Downriggers, 10 color leadcores, and an assortment of spoons.

Let me know if you were in my shoes, which lake would you choose? Also closest public launch information would be appreciated.

Cayuga. Not Kueka. Make sure you hit the right lake. Some senator last year made a wrong turn in Ithaca and ended up on the wrong lake and couple hours out his way. He was very.... very mad when I informed him one started with a C and the other was a K.

Still chuckle over it. :)

Well, I have to say, you guys are incredible with your sharing of information. Ill take it all in and use it to my advantage, all while respecting your lake. I really appreciate the solid reports that were provided.

Looks like I'm heading to Kayuga with a C. Ill be the one out there 1/2 asleep from waking up at 2:00 am. Ill be in a white pursuit center console with blue canvas on the T-top. Give a shout. Ill have the radio on scan, Bobbyn' Along is the boat's name. Is there a preferred channel on the marine radio guys use up there, or is most communication cell phone oriented these days?

:beer:

FishingTheFL, on 13 Aug 2015 - 6:04 PM, said:snapback.png

Cayuga. Not Kueka. Make sure you hit the right lake. Some senator last year made a wrong turn in Ithaca and ended up on the wrong lake and couple hours out his way. He was very.... very mad when I informed him one started with a C and the other was a K.

Still chuckle over it. :)

Quoted from topic: Want to try a new location, which lake?

Good luck, stop in for lunch at Kidders landing, hit Omalleys! Nice to dock and walk to the bar great food. The fishing is hot right in front of that area, 150-350 on a North troll. FF with uv blue, white, purple fly. Keep your speed up 2.8-3.2. Mag Dipsy with paddle or SD. 275' back on wire rod if you have that. The silver's are there, spoons on rigger with slider cheater, orange, purple,pink. Shallow to start, 80-150 then slide out deeper for late morning bite. If spoons don't work change em up sometimes the smaller scorpion size is the ticket.

http://itoflies.com/products/flies/uv-flies link to the colors that have been hot, blue n purple no see ums. Let us know how you do!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

WOW! I don't know if it was just that we hit it right or that lake fishes really well all the time. First off I have to say I was impressed by the launch pad at Long Point. We got on the water at 4:30 and headed north of the launch. Caught a few decent lakers there first thing on riggers and #1 dipsies down, who knows. I was using spinning gear so don't even know how far out they were. I learned a valuable life lesson, mono + Dipsies... cannot get the dipsies to trip so bringing in to check setup or change them, that's hard work!! Guess its time to make up some wire or braid dipsie rods.

The bite slowed considerably there around 8:00 so we picked up our gear and motored down toward Meyers. In front of Meyers we picked up a half dozen or so landlocks (all on the small side, biggest probably 16 inches). We trolled slowely down the west shore almost to Ithaca picking up landlocks and lakers along the way. The fleas were really bad from Meyers south (my first experience with them)

At that point it was hot so we decided to pick things up and cool off in the water for a  while. My buddy thought it was a good idea do donate a pair of prescription eye glasses to the lake in 250 feet of water, not good!

We then headed back north to long point again for the evening bite. Picked up another salmon and two more lakers. Ended the day around 7:00, put the boat back on the trailer and headed for home.

I don't think I would have been successful if it wasn't for the reports and info you shared.

We caught fish on all setups, 10 color leadcore (fleas by Meyers forced us to discontinue this setup, but up north they were better), riggers down , sliders, and dipsies #1 with rotating flashers and spin doctors.

We ended the day with 14 fish, 6 lakers and 8 salmon with the biggest being a 26" and 27" lakers, and a bunch of smaller 10-18" salmon. Ended up discontinuing the slider rig because of the smaller salmon, and not wanting to make any more seagull food. It was a fun trip! I think I will take a week in September and try again.

Now if I could figure out the Rainbows and Browns up there!

Edited by CatskillBob

Sounds like you had a great day! I would say that Cayuga has been producing very well over the past few years. As for the browns n bows don't be afraid to venture down the "chute" running 2.8-3.5 GPS sog. Dark colors, orange n gold, smaller' flutter' spoons. Its sometimes more about finding em. Don't worry, the Lakers will hit too at those faster speeds. A wire dipsy setup, 30lb stainless 7 strand with a mag dipsy and your favorite FF combo will sometimes out fish all your other rods.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey guys, quick question. Looking to spend a week up on the lake in September. I will most likely be solo so looking for a place to camp (tent camping) lakeside with a launch and/or dock space. For you local guys, what are my options on Cayuga?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

Hey guys, quick question. Looking to spend a week up on the lake in September. I will most likely be solo so looking for a place to camp (tent camping) lakeside with a launch and/or dock space. For you local guys, what are my options on Cayuga?

Thanks in advance.

Bobby

Myers and Taugannock parks both have camping/launching - you may have trouble clearing the bridge at Taugannock with your T-top...  My planer mast makes it too tall to come and go for me.

Quite a few by me. Sned Acres off the top my head, Kendia campground my aunt owns over by Sampson. Deans cove isn't far away on Cayuga, Sampson launch is down the road. There is couple more over by me. I'll check what the camp ground by O'Malleys Cabin on the lake but I think they are mostly camper sites. I know Kendia will have open tent sites plus bait store on site. Just tell them Michael sent you from the tree service.

Mike

Good stuff guys....people helping people....sounds like i need a morning on cayuga!

Ahh yes you do gotta get out there I fish out of a 14 people very respectful of space on fing Seneca they run you over.

The guys here are the best with info too!!!

Thanks a bunch Guys. I'm leaning toward Meyers since they are right on Cayuga and have a site available. Going to be tough launching and retrieving each day solo, but so be it. Looking like it will be the week of September 11-18. Plan is to really explore Cayuga and Owasco, but Ill be in the region, so really any Finger is possible.

Taugannock park would have been perfect with the dock space, but boat won't fit under the 6.5' bridge.

Edited by CatskillBob