Best time to sell a boat - Fall vs. Spring

Hello LOU friends,

It's a long story, but I'm thinking of selling my boat. I recently purchased a large piece of hunting property with a cabin ,three ponds, and miles of trails and will need to devote my time to QDM, food plots, cabin and pond maintenance over the next few years so it'll be harder for me to devote the time to trolling. As most of you know, a boat that sits can typically go to pot quickly. 

Is it best to sell in fall or wait until spring? I'm looking at this from a fisherman/woman perspective, i.e. would they prefer to buy and work on the boat during the winter, or wait until spring whereas the owner has paid for winter storage.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

A rig like yours that is well known for its quality and well rigged with gear should do very well in the next few weeks,but as the season winds down so will the the buyers interest.

Next March to May interest will pick up again specially if you can do test runs.

On another note. If you sell and feel like some fishing,you are welcome on my rig.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the great advice and the kind words on my boat. As they say, a boat is "always for sale" so feel free to PM me now, but in all honesty I will wait until the spring when she looks her best and is ready for another season for a future angler.

I am touched by many fLOU friends who have already called me and reached out to me like rolmops above and offered a spot on their boat to fish. So touching......thanks boys.

Tight lines to all,

Chris

One of the largest boat brokers in WNY, been in business since 1972 and moves over 100 used boats a year repeatedly says fall is a good time to attract the educated buyer who is looking for a specific boat be it brand, condition, equipment etc.  I believe there is a window between now and October 1st to attract that buyer.  You set your price and see where it goes.  I have been around boats and fishing for decades, several years ago I purchased a boat in September simply because it was the right boat at the right time.  I concur that certainly there are far more buyers(and lookers) in the spring.  

Hello LOU friends,

It's a long story, but I'm thinking of selling my boat. I recently purchased a large piece of hunting property with a cabin ,three ponds, and miles of trails and will need to devote my time to QDM, food plots, cabin and pond maintenance over the next few years so it'll be harder for me to devote the time to trolling. As most of you know, a boat that sits can typically go to pot quickly. 

Is it best to sell in fall or wait until spring? I'm looking at this from a fisherman/woman perspective, i.e. would they prefer to buy and work on the boat during the winter, or wait until spring whereas the owner has paid for winter storage.

Thanks for any advice,

Chris

Chris

I am a hunter first and maintain 4 different properties, but don't give up on the fishing if you don't have too.  You can find time for both and targeting kings is a great way to pass time in August and early sept while waiting for opening day.  Either way, good luck with the new property.  Still time to get a plot in too.

Brian

i would say spring as well, On a side note if you do sell thanks for all the great reports and being such a great resource for everyone!

Congrats on the hunting property and did you buy in the darien area? I believe that is where you have been hunting in the past.

Edited by salmonite

i would say spring as well, On a side note if you do sell thanks for all the great reports and being such a great resource for everyone!

Congrats on the hunting property and did you buy in the darien area? I believe that is where you have been hunting in the past.

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for the kind words my friend. Yes - I bought the 100 acre Darien piece that's been in our family the past 40 years.

Stay in touch,

Chris

Edited by momay4000