Braided And Wire line vs Mono (dipseys)

I run 60 lb braid an you will see a huge difference in depth and ability to trip the diver. I usally figure about 3ft out to 1 foot down on # 1 setting. But that depends on speed and other factors. On the finger lakes trolling slow for lakers I will hit botom in 80 ft with around 300 ft out. I like the braid a lot easyer to work with them wire only down fall is the fleas.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Best to play with the depth on your own to see where you start hitting bottom. I think you will like the braid much better than the mono. 300 ft of mono is like trying to trip the dipsy on the end of a rubber band.

Yeah, I've noticed that most the time they wont trip unless a big fish hits... I loosened the trip screw a bit to adjust but Ive been meaning to switched to braided. I got the spider wire right now. Ill upgrade to fireline when i get my next reel with line counter... one broke today... so tomorrow Im guessing. Open my other line counter at the same time should give me and idea.

Or I always figure that if I hold the real at my stomach and pull the line out of the real in till my arm is fully extended is aprox 3 ft. So to let 300 ft out pull the line out of the real 100 times. You can figure out how far it is for you with tape measure. Hold the tape at your stomach and pull the tape out. Easyer than trying to trip to reels at same time.

Or let it out till you tap bottom tie a ruber band on the line at the real and Mark the depth with fish finder.

Don't be afraid to drag bottom in the 60 to 80 ft range. That's where I picked up most of my fish last week north of the power plant.

Been launching from sheldrake but bunch of theives live down there and have been targeting my stuff so I can only launch there when I have an employee working. Wood lot is cleared up so havent been bring help out... looking for extra gas can so i can get further. I did well jigging two weekends ago, tried Seneca last week and caught a few in 20mins... after that tho they were dead... and the one I got to the boat felt like a dead stick... let him go. Rather eat healthy fighters... going to be fish fry Saturday depending on the rain we get in the next hour or so...

Mike