LOC DERBY ENTRANCE FEE INCREASE

Went fishing to Lake O last week and while at dock learned from another boater that the LOC Derby had a significant increase in there entrance fee. Speaking with additional  fisherman, several expressed there decision to not enter this fall tournament as a result. I spoke with my tourny members who fish each fall and we also decided to not enter as well. This represents an additional ( 60 % ) to entrance fee over last year. I cant recall much of anything with a cost increase at that rate. granted 15$ is not a lot of money, but feel LOC is taking Salmon Anglers for SUCKERS.

A charter Captain present mentioned he could not get his clients to enter as they had in last years tourny, 40$ to get in and 20$ for the day to a trip adds up fast.

Just want to know if any LOU members have given thought to not fish this year for same reason. I have seen dwindling numbers of anglers on Lake O for a long time now. During the week fishing out of Wilson last fall, I noticed the fewest boats ever during a tournament. Have"nt fished out of the OAK in several years, wondering if anyone noticed the decline  at other ports you may have fished.

I feel that if we cant reverse this trend, our fishery will be neglected ( as it has been in the past by elected officials as they feel its not worth spending $ to maintain the fishery.

The tournaments are one way of enabling this fishery to be exposed to potential future anglers. Consider the number of Captains who no longer operate charters.

The decision by LOC officials to raise entrance fees by  a whopping (60 %) is a bad one. It will only hasten the decline in exposure to our fishery, and will have a negative impact for years to come.

Any thoughts or opinions from LOU members. If you agree, send an email to LOC and voice your thoughts.

Thanks guys for your imput.

This is one change in the LOC that does not bother me. $40.00 is not a lot of money when you have a chance at winning $25,000.00. The odds of winning compared to the lottery is a lot better. If you want to get your entry fee back, don't chase kings and go with the trout. Less people target trout and it is easier to get your money back.

The change doesn't bother me either. If you look at the entry raise and then look at the difference I. Prize money it kind of makes it a bit more worth while I think. I mean yah they went weekly for the prizes which didn't go up but the overall prize money went up. Unless I read it wrong I am just fine with it. Also if you enter the LOC as a whole in the Spring it's only a $10 increase from past years

I don't really mind personally but then again I don't regularly fish the LOC.  I do agree that registrations will be down, but the added revenue will offset that unless registration drops by 50%.  Dave is betting that it won't drop that much. I guess we'll know next year based on the 2016 prices.

Actually, the more ticket prices would go up, the more likely I would be to fish it a little more seriously. The lessor the entries, the better the odds and the more seriously I'd take it.  I haven't fished the fall LOC in several years, nor did I bother entering the summer but I'm actually fishing it this fall. I think all you guys should keep your money and not enter. Ticket prices are ridiculous and it's not worth it   :)  

What was it last year?  I have not fished it in a while as I go out solo a lot in recent years or have guys that come up once.    As I recall back in the old ESLO days it was $40.   I looked this year to see if they happened to change the rule against fishing without a partner / witness, I saw the $40 and didn't think twice.

BTW I fish the Lake Winnepesaukee derby.....they charge $40 and the prizes are not nearly as good.  Granted we do pretty well ;)

Whatever prize mony you win in any tournament, you add to your overall income. You are then TAXED at that rate, so add 25K to your earnings and pay the tax, your win wont feel like much then. I spoke with a past winner of the now defunc ESLO, back in the day when the grand prize was that beautiful GRADY WHITE. Those were ther days gentleman. His win turned into a nightmare as he had to pay out taxes on the total and in addition, split with team members. Never fished a toury again. I would"nt go that far.

I just feel that a ( 60% ) increase in cost for anything is gouging. Consider adding 60% to any of your purchases today. Consider ( 1 )  purchase you made a year ago that went up by ( 60% )today.  No business could obsorb that high a percentage increase and survive. As far as odds in winning the lottery, I could win a heck of o lot more mony as well. Current Lottery 33 Million. If win, I"ll pay for every LOU member to celebrate as I appreciate all the benefits I have recieved from this web-site.

Good luck to those fishing, hope you have good water and the reels are singing.

I understand your point but look at it this way, how long or how many hours would you have to work to make that $25,000. I think it's the same concept except I would rather spend the $40 for the chance or the excuse to go fishing and spend a day or whatever on the water fishing. My uncle won a spring ESLO and yes the boats were nice and the cash and gear to, but as with most tourneys legally they have to tax anyone if it's over $600. Just like my kid gets to go to college for free cause my wife works there but j have to ad that tuition payment to my income and get taxed on that amount. I didn't spend it so why am I being taxed, cause nothing in this world is free except scrap metal and junk.

Wow if you're that cheap just give up fishing!! $40 isn't nothing nowadays. Couple weeks ago I broke off a diver and that cost me $40 in lost tackle. I didn't think twice about replacing it and I bet you don't either. Bottom line, with a chance to win $25k it's a drop in the bucket for me. I've been fishing the derby since 1991 and It's more than paid for itself with a 2 place salmon in the fall of 2005, a 20th place salmon in the spring of 2006 and the LOC grand prize in the fall of 2013. You gotta be in it to win it!!

Total Chaos

Mr. Chaos, I put two kids thru college the past five years, 1 at Canisius, 1 at Hilbert. Defineltly was"nt CHEAP. The definition in a dictionary for the word GOUGE. READS : To exact exorbitantly " TO Swindle.

Consider yourself fortunate that a 60% increase in cost is no issue for you. But I am certain for a lot of folks here New York, especially those on a fixed incomes, or those who have suffered a job loss, or have been burdened by rising Health costs. It is an issue. While highliting this increase, I am mindful of those who have been dealt these difficult circumstances.

Do you suppose Charter Captains could increase there cost by 60%, how about Marina operators?.

I have been successful in business on my own for several years now, I continue to grow and acquire more clientel each year. I doudt if that would happen if I myself just randomley raised my cost at that percentage. For that matter any other busines as well.

No matter how big or small the amount, cost increases altimately reflect the RESPECT that you have for your clients. They understand that cost inevitably rise for a whole host of reasons.

On PRINCIPAL I do not ever support efforts to swindle others, no matter how big or small. Its all the same.

Gouging: look it up.

No increase in years, there are some tournaments in Eastern Lake Erie now that are 500.00 for 4 guys for 3 days.  The marketplace decided twenty plus years ago when ESLO went down, if there is an issue this time the same thing will happen which I doubt simply because participation is a fraction of what it was twenty plus years ago.  Capitalism still works and let the marketplace decide.  Any yes I have owned and run a small business in the past and work for one now.

Freebird I see where you are going with this whole thing but am starting to lose the reasoning. I also have run a successful business for 17 years and if you have been able to get through with out raising any costs well my friend you are very lucky. Fuel prices, minimum wage and equipment has all increased over those years and not to mention the cost of vehicles and boats or just cost of living. Granted I don't raise my costs 60% but if I added it up for the past 17 years I would bet I am over 100% increase from when I started. The LOC hasn't done that for many years so while it seems a lot to you and others to us I feel was needed to keep some anglers because plan and simple it costs more to fish. I just re powered my boat with year old leftovers and that costs me over $50,000, now many years ago it was half if not more. Plan and simple don't enter then, no need to raise hell about it as times have changed.

I do not mind the price hike. What I do mind  is that the smaller daily prizes are often just above the point where you have to declare that money. A tax free $500 dollar prize is better than a $700 prize that has to be declared.

Edited by rolmops

What if they took every prize in the regular top 20 (not the grand prize) And made all 20 spots worth 500? Would people like that? Then the challenge becomes just make the board. I did some quick math and if all that money for the current structure were pooled, it would come out to about 475 for first through 20th. I think that would be pretty decent. Something similiar could be done with the other divisions if needed. This way only one person from each category gets a tax form. Thoughts?

Edited by Landshark

Pllain and Simple, fully understandable business cost could rise 100%  over a 17 yeaar period, and no doubt fishing is no cheap date.  In just a few years 15$ went to 25$ went to 40$, Added up thats 120% increase. Not my intention to raise hell, just putting out some info that is factually correct

As for my luck in business, no such thing for me, I simply pay close attention to competition and there price schedules. I simply know when potential clients are affected by cost and what questions to ask.

Best time to introduce my company.

Alot of responces, but no one yet can address the high % cost increase in such a short duration. In 17 years of business, have you ever seen that level of increase, that quickly, I haven"t.

Even the IRS aint that bad.

The price increase has made us look closely at the results of previous LOC's. The area where we fish has only produced 1 fish in the top 20 about every other year. We had to decide if we wanted to move to a better area based on the LOC results or just drop the LOC. So it was decided to forgo the LOC this year(all ten of us). It's sort of like poker, you got to know when to fold. Sometimes you are bluffed but most times you are right.

Wow if you're that cheap just give up fishing!! $40 isn't nothing nowadays. Couple weeks ago I broke off a diver and that cost me $40 in lost tackle. I didn't think twice about replacing it and I bet you don't either. Bottom line, with a chance to win $25k it's a drop in the bucket for me. I've been fishing the derby since 1991 and It's more than paid for itself with a 2 place salmon in the fall of 2005, a 20th place salmon in the spring of 2006 and the LOC grand prize in the fall of 2013. You gotta be in it to win it!!

Total Chaos

Yup~exactly!! You'll wish you bought a ticket if you catch a tyee.

It still amazes me how "DEEP" people get with everything these days,

to damn sensitive!!! I live in Maine and I am gonna fish the LOC for two full weeks,

The 40$ entry fee is a drop in the bucket compared to what it will cost me for

lodging,food,gas,beer,cutbait and don't forget about the boat I bought this past winter....

If you break it down, its less than 3 bucks a day!!! Peanuts....

Just my opinion....Best of luck to all that enter....

Dan

Pllain and Simple, fully understandable business cost could rise 100% over a 17 yeaar period, and no doubt fishing is no cheap date. In just a few years 15$ went to 25$ went to 40$, Added up thats 120% increase. Not my intention to raise hell, just putting out some info that is factually correct

As for my luck in business, no such thing for me, I simply pay close attention to competition and there price schedules. I simply know when potential clients are affected by cost and what questions to ask.

Best time to introduce my company.

Alot of responces, but no one yet can address the high % cost increase in such a short duration. In 17 years of business, have you ever seen that level of increase, that quickly, I haven"t.

Even the IRS aint that bad.

A few years from 15 to 25 to 40???? How long ago was it $15 dollars? It has been way more than a few years. It was $25.00 for a long time without an increase.

Freebird, where are you getting $25 from? It's been $30 for at least the last 3 years and $30 to $40 is only a 30% increase!! ProTrolls have gone up $3 this year. Spoons and Rapalas have had substanial price increases as well. I haven't seen you bashing the tackle companys or tackle shops for that. With the reduced price in gas this year from last you should have easily saved the $40 needed for the derby. If the entry fee doesn't fit your budget then don't fish it but there's no reason to bash the derby for it.

Total Chaos

Whatever prize mony you win in any tournament, you add to your overall income. You are then TAXED at that rate, so add 25K to your earnings and pay the tax, your win wont feel like much then. I spoke with a past winner of the now defunc ESLO, back in the day when the grand prize was that beautiful GRADY WHITE. Those were ther days gentleman. His win turned into a nightmare as he had to pay out taxes on the total and in addition, split with team members. Never fished a toury again. I would"nt go that far.

I just feel that a ( 60% ) increase in cost for anything is gouging. Consider adding 60% to any of your purchases today. Consider ( 1 )  purchase you made a year ago that went up by ( 60% )today.  No business could obsorb that high a percentage increase and survive. As far as odds in winning the lottery, I could win a heck of o lot more mony as well. Current Lottery 33 Million. If win, I"ll pay for every LOU member to celebrate as I appreciate all the benefits I have recieved from this web-site.

Good luck to those fishing, hope you have good water and the reels are singing.

That was his bad for not understanding how prize money works. Not the tourney. Of course you will be taxed. This is NYS! 

I love to fish salmon and trout even its been a tuff year again . I will be out there so why not get in the derby you just never know . hell keep the prize money I take the bragging rights to say I won loc fall derby any time . 40 bucks is not going to make go me broke

Yea wen I went to signup I had sticker shock, WTF no thanks. money money money. how bout the pride of knowing you placed. The increase in fee is too much if u ask me. I have a young family with a single income and already tuff with gas increase, price of tackle and rigging of the whole boat for trolling. Fishing is one of my passions and I fish as much as possible, but just don't have the funds to do all three. With my boat that's several trips on the lake. yea u never kno but I don't gamble.  Once again we are pushing away future generations of the sport. Soon it will die out, jst look how many younger guys ther are, all I hear about from the old timers was u should of seen it on the lake in the eslo. How has this effected the overall participation? Are we trying to increase or decrease participation?