Smelly Jelly Users

Its not very often other fisher men talk about there secret weapons or things like Smelly Jelly's

I was told by a old timer that Smelly Jelly's are one of fisher men's best secret weapons. I responded

with that's not something I've heard much about out here on Lake Ontario fishing for Salmon & Trout.

I'm wondering if this is true and someone would share there knowledge of its use. I'd love to be able to up my game

and my Son is coming home on leave next week "he's a Air force Lifer" I'd love to have something extra to bring

out to increase those chances. The last time he was home was two years ago and we fished two long days out there

with just one Coho to brag about. So far this year for me alone I'm not bragging yet, lol. All response's are appreciated.

I had a similar conversation in the trib section last year. The consensus was that in certain conditions smelly jelly most likely helped catch rate but in most conditions it didn't make any drastic improvements to the number of fish landed. Most people seemed to agree it didn't make any significant difference.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I do use it on my spoons and flies but not on any of my meat rigs. I use the salmon feast in gel and Herring formula in liquid. Usually we put some on our hands like lotion before we setup to rid any other scent from something else we may have touched. As for a hook up ratio I wouldn't say it improves numbers but it does make them attack it a bit harder than some other times and then again I have been out and some other fisherman are struggling and I am having a banner day and bigger weights. Maybe it's luck but maybe it's the scent. I also always have a old can of WD-40 in the boat as well, it's something with the fish oils they use. I hope it helps but I will never not have any and not use it when I am out I do know that.

I do use it on my spoons and flies but not on any of my meat rigs. I use the salmon feast in gel and Herring formula in liquid. Usually we put some on our hands like lotion before we setup to rid any other scent from something else we may have touched. As for a hook up ratio I wouldn't say it improves numbers but it does make them attack it a bit harder than some other times and then again I have been out and some other fisherman are struggling and I am having a banner day and bigger weights. Maybe it's luck but maybe it's the scent. I also always have a old can of WD-40 in the boat as well, it's something with the fish oils they use. I hope it helps but I will never not have any and not use it when I am out I do know that.

:yes:  :yes:

many many years ago when the lake was a different color, I would not leave the dock with WD40, but with the clarity it is today I think the fish use their eyes more than their nose.

Edited by scobar

I have used it with success on the fingers. Lately the bite has been so good I've gotten lazy and not wanted to clean lures after using it. So for me if the bite is slow I give it a try. I use the smelt scent. Also I am a big believer in fueling the boat after fishing, keep your hands clean or fish slimed n rinsed with lake water. Another technique I use is if a fish coughs up an alewife I keep it to rub on lures...

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Smelly jelly rules, tried and tested. I call it salmon crack! I have one side of the boat with and on side without. Same rigs both side one lead and one 400 copper out on side planer with one down on rigger same flasher and fly flasher and spoon both sides even same leader lengths. Probably similar mount of hits but 4 to one hook up in favor of the jelly! Fish are much more aggressive on the jelly, the I have tried a lot of them but the salmon feast is the crack,

there hooked!

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Lake Ontario United

I used to break open a couple of fish oil capsules on a cotton ball and rub it on spoons or fly head....  a little messy but it has seemed to help when things are slow.

I actually use fish oil capsules when making my spawn sacs. I had forgotten about that need to keep some cotton attached to the fly scent will last longer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app