Islander

it all depends are what you are looking for and expect to get out of it (a BOAT) . I bought the 221 for Hudson River stripers , Adk lakes and thankfully the Great Lake Ontario.. It has served all purpose .. Myself and friends stay overnight on the boat every weekend.. It works for us, sadly my wife will not stay on the Islander.. She wants head room and space so I'm long term a fully functional cabin  and fly bridge.  That's our summer home of the future, a solid stable boat to fish 6 family anglers..  There are a few islanders 19 & 22' listed here also..

The difference between a 22 & 26 ' is just all deck space and towing length.. Towing weight wont be an issue (well maybe a 4cly taco, lol) .. At the point from 22 to 26 , it's going longer but not wider..

Look any boat over carefully.. Islanders are tin boats with hundreds of rivets ( welded lunds are sweet) I have leaks. Check bottom of transom it is prone to rot, foam is over saturated and will rot floors, motor, outdrive issues ... It's that stuff which makes or breaks a boat

Good luck

Rich

Edited by Rich s

I am with Rich S. My islander leaks too. still havent found out where and I agree with thumbburn, I fished in 6 footers a few weekends ago. I felt safe but it was interesting. my two deck hands got banged up pretty good! haha

Fishing in 6 footers is not my thing pretty much on any boat , even the Cornelia Marie , lol.

We have picked up from 12 miles out when the 4 footers started rolling into 6 and headed to port twice this season. Use good judgment and boating skills and you will get home safe . That said, I recall 2 -221 V sinking last year .

I will fish fine in mine in 3 -4 footers, its bumpy and sometimes not much fun but its the way the lake rolls and we have become accustom to it. I'd just like to have a little more comfort on that lake with a wider , heavier boat in my future but my tin boat rocks for us right now .

Givin the choice on a tin boat :

If all things were equal, I'd prefer a solid welded boat over a riveted one.

Starcraft no longer makes the islander . I have see some very nice new ( er) solid Lunds , I'm sure they are quite expensive .

Right now its a buyers market , look wisely and look at many , all boats are not the same except B.O.A.T. Lol

Good luck :

Rich

Edited by Rich s