Out of the Little Salmon 8-16

We tried it again this weekend with much the same results as last week. You have to run to deep water and the thermocline is at over a hundred feet down. There are lots of bait pods but very few takers. We fished from six till noon and threw everything at them including the kitchen sink. We fished copper,lead core, dipsies and downriggers. Flasher flies,flasher lures ,meat rigs and lures. We tried the column from top to bottom and ended up with a 22# king,a 14# king and a 12# laker but it was hard work. We saw several charter boats retreat to the laker grounds after trying for salmon.

Let's hope the fish will show up in the next few days,or this year will end up as dissappointing as last year.

Edited by rolmops

After the winter that wasn't a winter there was a great salmon population which lasted into a second year. Then the very cold winter of 13/14 and on top of it 14/15 and the fishing became very poor (for pacific salmon).

I may be off base but I think that this cold water and the salmon not having the possibility to escape to warmer water( as they would in the Pacific) really caused a lot of fish to die. It is not as if the water coming down the Niagara in winter and spring is 39 degrees and up. It is between 39 and freezing because the 39 layer stays on the bottom of lake Eerie. The Atlantic Salmon in Lake Ontario probably has a better survival rate in these harsh winter circumstances.

It will probably take another 2 years to get back to the larger numbers of fish that we got used to.

Biologists checking my fish last year stated that 2014 (last year)was bad because the two year olds ran with the three yer olds in 2013. Those were the 2014 three year olds, Leaving last year really short in numbers.

That means we would have caught a lot of small matures (8 to 10 pound) in 2013 because that is the size 2 year olds should be if they run, jacks. Looking back at my pictures from 2013, there were no mature fish in my catch that size. I don't think they have any idea what is going on out there and instead of saying that they make stuff up.

After the winter that wasn't a winter there was a great salmon population which lasted into a second year. Then the very cold winter of 13/14 and on top of it 14/15 and the fishing became very poor (for pacific salmon).

I may be off base but I think that this cold water and the salmon not having the possibility to escape to warmer water( as they would in the Pacific) really caused a lot of fish to die. It is not as if the water coming down the Niagara in winter and spring is 39 degrees and up. It is between 39 and freezing because the 39 layer stays on the bottom of lake Eerie. The Atlantic Salmon in Lake Ontario probably has a better survival rate in these harsh winter circumstances.

It will probably take another 2 years to get back to the larger numbers of fish that we got used to.

I can't disagree with this theory as I'd have to say your more then likely onto something with both the cause and the time needed to rebound. Even though the DEC will never admit it even if you are right.