Owasco 8/15-8/16

Saturday AM: 

Finally had a chance to fish after a month long drought.  Start early Saturday morning leaving the dock around 5:30AM and starting setting lines right away heading north.  No action for about 30 minutes then doubled with both rods taking some decent line.  I was able to land a nice brown while driving the boat that weighed just over 4lbs and unfortunately couldn't be revived.  My father was battled a stocky rainbow that some how foul hooked himself in the side and just wouldn't budge.  We finally land a 20 inch bow, and it same away strong.  After resetting, BAM another double this time cooper is screaming and our deep rigger is thumping.  I'm on the cooper and am finally able to get board off after about 5 minutes.  Start making progress on the fish slowly then SNAP.  Broke the leader, and lost what felt to be a heavy brown.  In either case, my father landed the small lake trout he was playing.  After re-tie and turn, another double in the same area, this time lakers.  We ended the morning with about 6 for 12... Lots of drops, but the doubles kill us with 2 guys on a small boat.

Saturday Afternoon:

My parents had some friends visiting so they decided to hit some wineries, and decided to do some fishing.  Headed to the same area, and had a fish on the rigger before I could play out the second rod.  Fought a decent laker to the surface then off.  At least this time I got to see the fish...  Finally had 3 rods situated and a triple!  I sat there in shock for a minute and thought what am i going to do now.  I pulled the throttle down as low as I could take it and started battling a very heavy fish on the copper.  Got into the leader and the 10 color crosses me and drops the fish!  No time to rest, grab the 10 color and landed a respectable 28 laker.  By the time I picked on the rigger rod, the fish was gone, but that was insane.  Finally get everything reset, this time 2 rods rods.  Troll for about 15 minutes and the rigger gets smashed, and is screaming.  Grab the rod, and of course another double!  Put the boat in neutral and watched as a beautiful rainbow jumped about 7-8 times.  I had a pretty serious fan club at this point, and after netting the fish got a standing ovation from the tubers and jet-skiers.  As hard as I could, just couldn't get the big hen to swim on her own... Measured 25 inches and a hair over 7lbs.  

Saturday PM:

After giving my family the report, my dad and even my girlfriend decided they needed to get out.  We set up in the same area running a 4 rod spread just waiting for the fire drill.  About 7:30, the dinner bell rang and we tripled!  This was all about Amanda as she has never trolled in her life and was determined to land her first trout.  We handed her the rigger rod and she struggled but landed a nice 25 inch laker.  After she got hers in, my dad and I fought the other 2 fish.  I landed a 31 inch laker on the 10 color and he lost his on the copper.  

Overall, a really awesome weekend fishing.  Landed 12 fish and lost at least another 15.  Just a reminder to everyone, please contribute to the DEC Angler Diary Program.  It's fun to look back on your catches and what's better is to have that data counted to help improve our fisheries!  

post-149977-0-87633900-1439811100_thumb.jpeg

post-149977-0-85540600-1439811112_thumb.jpg

post-149977-0-40833000-1439811126_thumb.jpg

Great fishing on a great little lake :)  That had to be the thrill of a lifetime for someone's first time trolling. Excellent report and thanks for plugging the Angler Diary program as well :yes:

WOW what a great story and what could be better then "fish and family" thanks for sharing your wonderful outings and pics. With us!! And a little reminder of the diary program. !!!

Bass run large, but tend to go offshore chasing mooneyes especially in the summer.  I have caught some big ones, but rarely on purpose.  The spring is the only time they act like bass.  Good luck if you go, let us know how you make out.