Copper Trolling Wire Maintenance and Repair

IMG_20150817_134304678-e1439834684817.jpg Copper trolling wire is a great tool for targeting suspended fish away from the boat.   However, wire of any kind, particularly copper wire, was never designed to be submerged under water and constantly wound and unwound onto a small diameter fishing reel under any kind of tension.    Even plated super copper eventually becomes stressed from […]

(Read more...)

View the full article on Blood Run Tackle website...

The tensile strength mentioned here is exactly what I have found as described and I have mentioned this just recently in another thread on copper size preference. There is virtually no difference in performance of the 32lb and 45lb class super copper in either depth or breaking point as I have seen. I like the 32lb for the space it leaves for backing allowing a much smaller reel with less weight.

For repairs or adding a section I like to use 80lb power pro hollow ace. It works well with either 32 or 45 lb blood run. The connection is smooth and transitions nicely, however not a great way to repair on the boat. Looks like the idea of winding the tag ends together would not be too hard to do while on the water if needed.

Thanks for a great product!

Mark